NOT MUCH CCKW ACTIVITY ANYMORE

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

NOT MUCH CCKW ACTIVITY ANYMORE

Post by RANGER »

The owners have ridden off into the sunset. :wink: I do take a peek at TM9-801, it is a bit stale, nothing new there either.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: NOT MUCH CCKW ACTIVITY ANYMORE

Post by FISCH »

Yea, and not many at the MVPA Convention either.

Seen some M35s, and Dodge 1 1/2 tons,

a couple of Bomb Trucks

Even a M26 Tank Recovery Vehcle

Of course there are the Jeeps, Dodges, Staff Cars, Half Tracks, Weasels and Scout Cars, even a 1918 Dodge Touring, and 1918 La France Fire Engine, but no CCKWs that I have seen.
WC-56
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have a brass 8 Day New Haven Clock and a Vacuum Gauge from a LaFrance Fire Engine from that era.
Too bad about no CCKW's, it may just goe to show that they are a bit complex for the avarage MV fan.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Well I will look again, but I honestly don't believe I have seen one this year, but maybe someone who went will have... I have been a little distracted meeting people and looking for parts myself.

Anyway, the Fire Engine is Local to Dayton. I called the guy up after seeing a M38 carcass.... he didn't know much about the MVPA or convention. Long story short mailed him the info and in came the Fire Engine, he also is supposed to have a 42 Crash truck that came from Wright Patt... hope that comes in as well... He says that is a GMC so maybe it is a converted CCKW?
WC-56
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

By the way... my friend who is restoring the US 6 found a wood bed for it. The bed is rough, but mostly in tact. So he is one step closer... he did more research and found out his truck is very early... no pioneer kit wood bed etc... so good news for him.

He is still looking for some bits... 2 yellow marble reflectors for one. I think a gas tank (will have to ask him), but he is making progress.

Ranger, he is looking for a Studebaker Shield for the grill. That is the major bit of cosmetic to be found so if you know of one in a corner ~ he would be appreciative.
WC-56
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Ok, saw one CCKW at the convention today. I did a double take and besides a Fire Truck there was only one CCKW. So maybe they are becoming lost, or the cost to bring them into Dayton was just too much.
WC-56
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Forgotten Field »

I am only a 1-year owner of the CCKW tipper and I really like the truck. I haven't needed to post much because I have figured it out from the manuals or Joel or others have helped me on the problems and issues. Thanks to all who have helped for the continued employment/enjoyment of my vehicle. You can't possibly know how convenient a dump truck is until you own one.

If you are a typical modern vehicle owner (jump in and drive) you shouldn't own a CCKW. Between brakes, drive line, and the engine, they are more maintenance just to keep SAFE than to just keep a jeep running. I think that is why you don't see more out on the road or at shows. When they are well-maintained, they are a good truck. Otherwise, they are a big hunk of WWII metal that is cool but hard to keep under cover.

Also, it is easier to plunge into jeep or weapons carrier ownership without any knowledge than to get into CCKW ownership. For simple things, like getting towed when you break down, you are in a harder hurt with a CCKW than with an MB/GPW or WC. Parts are easier for the smaller vehicles than the CCKW. And, there are many fewer CCKW experts/authorities than Jeep/WC knowledgeable persons.

I had a discussion a while back with somebody about which was easier to own- a jeep, dodge, or CCKW. The CCKW owners will fight you tooth and nail to tell you how nice the truck is, and they are absolutely right. But as Joel has rightly written here and elsewhere, the CCKW is real work to make it run right and safely. "Playing" with a truck requiring such serious attention is probably less fun for most people.

But they sure don't know what they are missing...
Nothing to see here, just move along...
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

It was sad not to see John's CCKW there or the other real nice CCKW that is around Ohio. I think the owners of those trucks brought other toys. I know as the owner of the smaller relative the 1 1/2 ton Chevy, it still is a challenge to bring to shows. It was sad to find at the convention how many of the great resources for the CCKW/Chevy 1 1/2 ton that are gone now.
I think one of the big things that killed so many of the larger trucks is that they found their way to construction company who worked the bigger trucks to death.
I had a great time at the MVPA convention.

Jason
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
Bud Wheel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bud Wheel »

By the way Jason, won an award for for his VERY nice Bomb Truck during the convention :thumbup:
Well deserved

John
A small collection of period correct HMVs
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

:thumbup: Unique truck to judge.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Am still getting "RAVING" reviews on that Farby TM9-801 Site. At least someone is recognizing my MV ability. :thumbup:
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

My buddy Simon and myself attended the convention. We are both CCKW owners and were surprised at the lack of CCKWs or even parts for these trucks. There was a scattering of CCKW and DUKW parts on the tables but nothing like we expected.
One truck turned up late in the piece that was in quite nice condition but had serious problems with the generating system and I think had burned out the regulator. The owner stated that he intends taking the vehicle on the Alcan run. No doubt he will have the bugs out of it by then. One feature of the truck that I'm sure I have not seen before on a CCKW was the rear hanger brackets for the front springs were fabricated from pressings and not cast. I take it that this may indicate a very late production vehicle none of which reached Australia.
We very much enjoyed the convention and our time in the Dayton area which included the Wright Brothers Historic Tour and two visits to the National Museum of The USAF. Prior to the convention we had chanced upon the Airstream trailer factory and were there at the right time to have a guided tour. These trailers or caravans as we call them here have been around since 1935 and are as American as Coca Cola and we were surprised to see them still being built let alone at a rate of thirty a week with a workforce of 260 people involved in production.
All in all a great trip even if the travel to and from was a bit of a chore.
David
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

FISCH. When you ask after a Studebaker shield for the grill on your friends truck I assume you mean a name plate. The Studebaker badge that was only on the early trucks simply carried the name Studebaker with no other embelishment. The original badge was, I believe, a pressing but a couple of fellows here in Australia have made up cast copies. I can chase up more information if you wish as I'm sure they will still be available.
Bye the way. VERY early US6 trucks had the fuel filler neck poking forward passing through a hole in the front body panel. This is why the standardised 2-1/2 ton cargo body had the large hole in the front panel below floor level on the left hand side. The wooden cargo body came along later.
David
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

I will pass on the info or at least make sure he reads your post. If you wouldn't mind chasing down the plate, I am sure he would want it.

Thanks
WC-56
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

Hi FISCH, I spoke to one of the makers of the Studebaker nameplates this morning and he told me that the ones he produced were of a composite construction consisting of an aluminium pressing bonded to a steel backing. They come with attaching screws and when installed look identical to original.
Price quoted was $120 Australian plus postage and contact address is as follows:-
Mike Edwards
P.O. Box 807
Castlemaine
Victoria
Australia 3450

Phone Number (If calling from the US) 61 3 5473 4534

I don't have direct contact with the other fellow I believe made up some plates but can track him down.
David