$25 PAINT

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

$25 PAINT

Post by samason »

I JUST READ SOMETHING ON THE MACHINEGUN POST THAT MIGHT HAVE WOKE ME UP. I HAVE BEEN USING FOR YEARS A CERTAIN PAINT THAT COST $25 A GALLON. IT HOLDS UP GOOD TO RUST IF THE PREP WORK IS DONE WELL, BUT IT FADES QUIET A BIT SO IN TWO YEARS YOU ARE IN NEED OF A FRESH COAT OF PAINT.THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS PAINT IS, IT IS EASY TO TOUCH UP, EASY TO USE, AND IT SEEMS TO BE HISTORICLY CORRECT IN COLORS(WE COULD REALLY GET SOMETHING GOING THERE) AND ITS CHEAP.HOWEVER IT DOES SEEM TO GO AGAINST THE GRAIN OF "AUTO RESTORATION" TO USE SUCH A LOW GRADE OF PAINT.
I GUESS MY POINT IS, WHY SHOULD I USE A "REAL" PAINT vs GILLISPIE?

steve
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Steve:

As far as the "HISTORICALLY CORRECT" colors, well truth be known (and I KNOW I'll catch hell for this), there is NO SUCH ANIMULE! I've seen this topic come up quite a few times in the few short years I've been involved with this hobby. The way it worked back then is the paint company's providing for the military used what ever they could get their paws on to mix up the stuff. It was not unheard of to get 2 buckets of paint from the same batch that would produce different shades when applied.

It's the same for ANYTHING that was painted from vehicles to air craft to shovels. The only constant was that it was flat, not semi gloss or gloss, but flat, as in non reflective. If ya really want to see an explosion, mention KACKI to people who sell WW II web gear and uniforms.

With today's technology, you can match any color ya want. All ya need is a paint chip the size of a quarter (about 1" round for you guys across the pond). As for the fade, that's probably because they didn't add any UV protectant. You can generally get that added at no extra cost.

For vehicles, an epoxy based paint is probably the best way to go as it stands up to the elements and road debris. I've been away from recent developements with paint technology, but a good friend suggests a 2 part expoxy base over a single part. To be historically accurate, ya need to use a lead based oil, and good luck finding that, and if in the US of A, don't let OSHA catch wind of you using it. :lol: In CA, kiss your family good bye as they'll lock ya up forever. :lol: Oh, a while back I posted the formula for 38047 or is that 34087? :shock: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

My jeep went completely under salt water from Hurricane Katrina. I had to go through the electrical system but the paint held up perfect. No rust at all. And believe me everything that wasnt prtected rusted like crazy.
I got the 42 WC51 after the storm. My second 51 to own. I just cant get away from the Dodges They are the coolest.
The Jeep did survive. But i sold it. Who needs a J..p if you have a Dodge!

steve a
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Steve:

WOW! :shock: so are you in LA? That really musta been something. I've been thru a few hurricans, but nothing even close to that. :shock: That's one reason I don't want to live near any coast.

As for the paint, these days most new cars are dipped, so the paint gets everywhere. That's why they seem to fair better (body ways) than the older vehicle. Back in 79, GM started big with the recycling thing, and didn't get it right that year, and you could watch the bodies rust right off the frame. :lol:

Ya know, I'm not knocking Greg's paint. I'm sure (from what I read about it) that's it's a fantastic product. He did a lot of research, and it is of a high quality. Ya won't lose buy getting it from him. As for shade, again, from the people that really study this (and have nothing to gain financially), it's a mote point.

As with any type building project, prep and foundation is ALWAYS the key. There is a multitude of products out there, some VERY expensive, and some, surprisingly not. My Durango is 6 years old. From a distance of 10', it looks brandy new. It's only when ya get up close ya notice the brush scars (scratches). I reseal it (paint) twice a year, and on those now rare occassions we have snow, I constantly wash the undercarriage to get the salt off. It looks pretty damn good underneath too. :shock:

Ya know, I kinda miss my Jeep. It was a CJ though, and the damn thing broke at the drop of a hat, but it WAS FUN! Who knows, maybe someday if we win the lotto, I'll get a MB or GPW? I'll STILL have my Dodge's (notice plural) though. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

JEEP= Just Extra Expensive Parts. :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Ugg,

I caught that plural thing. rub it in will ya!
I'm not in Louisiana, but the forgotten coast of Mississippi.
We actually had alot more damage than La, but since we didnt lay in our filth and blame the gov't like the city of New Orleans has done we dont get the news coverage. Its AMAZING how far behind they are in recovery than Mississippi.
We actually have two whole cities that were removed , and i mean phisicaly removed from the face of the map. The rest of the entire coast looks a picture of Hiroshima.
Its unreal what a 28 foot wall of water will do.

steve
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Bloody hell, and were moaning in UK about a couple of inches of rain today. Chiken licken would feel right at home here today.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Steve:

I could well imagine what a 28' wall of water could do. I have seen plenty of footage of what happened there (in Miss too), but I guess because there wasn't a city the size of New Orleans, or the amount of people is such a small area????? Ya gotta admit though, the gov't (as in W) DID drop the ball on that. If it weren't for the regular folk steppin up, I'm sure it'da been much worse all the way around.

No, I don't have more than the Beast right now (also a deuce that I'm tryin to sell), but if I ever win the lotto, well........ :twisted: My poor wife has no idea. :twisted: :wink:

Tony:

A couple of inches of rain in a short period of time, especially in a city, can do some major damage. What's worse is that they don't make a big deal about it before it happens cause it don't sell TV time.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

You want to see the effect of 1/2 inch of snow :roll: Oh God the end of civillisation as we know travel cahos, British trains stop running companies blame "The wrong type of snow" I kid you not :x
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

I live in the Netherlands between the rivers Maas and Waal in what amounts to a big bathtub.
We have a house against the levy of the Maas.
In 1995 the Waal river threatened to burst and some 100 000 people had to evacuate.
I stayed behind alon a few days patrolling the neighbourhood, did run into 2 very nervous SWAT type guys patrolling.

Very erie to see the village empty, no cars, empty houses and here and there a person ducking because it was forbidden to stay behind.
After a week everybody could return, it would have been another story if the levy's had broken though.
I have a photo of 1 of the main Dutch highways flooded with water, very strange. One guy used it to windsurf I saw in a newspaper back then...
Now the levy's are strenghtened.

The Dutch are even asked for advise to protect New Orleans.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Olaf:

That HAS to be weird. Even way back in ancient times when I was in grade school, we knew about how you folk in the Netherlands had reclaimed land from the ocean, and how it's a struggle to keep from losing it. Then there's the story of the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dike/levy (which also led to other things considering what dike is slang for :twisted: Yeah, I was a perv even at 7 years old :oops: ).

You would think that anyone living in the same type situation would check out what you guys have going, as you've been doing it for so long with pretty damn good results. :? Once back with my little Chevy LUV truck, I was up in Minnesota with my ex (she wasn't at the time), hot to go 4 wheelin. We were cruisin all over and there was this great big hill. So there I went, hell bent for leather, charging up this hill.

Generally, I'm not like that, as I usually check out the way on foot before I go off roadin. I don't like to many surprises. Anywho, there I am, hittin about 50 MPH, charging uphill. Something didn't look quite right as I approached the top, so I stopped. Good thing too, as it turned out this hill was actually a levy for the mighty Mississippi river. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Olaf, which was the area above Middleburgh that the Allies Bombed the Dike? I visited there a cuople of years ago after BOAR. I belive some of the Mulberry Cassions where taken there to repair the dike.
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Hi Tony
That's the province of Zeeland, probably Walcheren.
They used caissons after the 1953 flood from Mulberry's to plug the gaps, suppose they did the same after the bombardments.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Olaf, Zeeland and Middleburgh are lovley places to visit. We camp there on the way back to UK for a couple of nights and always have a great time I would reccomend it. For the Military side there are bunkers and memorials all over the place. I may not get to BOAR this year as I'm due to take Ruby, my Dodge 51 to Iper in Juuly for the Passendale commemoration. If your around I can send you details.
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

A little bit back on topic please.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.