MACHINE GUNS

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Well Jim, it does give a film new intrest spot the gaff. Drives everyone else up the wall though :twisted:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

Funny you said that, we just saw "The Big Red 1" the other night. Is that what you were talking about? :lol: We have the 1st's museum close by and have visited it many times. They have a big armor (that's armour for you guys on the other side of the pond :wink: ) park there, and some say that almost everything there STILL works. :shock:

Paul:

I know you make a great product, but I too have been around. Just because ya pay more for something don't mean it's any better. Today, price and quality don't always go hand in hand. Latex paint is highly under rated, and does surprise many people (myself included). Will it stand up to the rigors of daily road useage? The boat is still out on that, but I'm keeping my eyes open.

In the future, maybe ALL paint will be water based, kinda like what they're trying to do in CA. The whole deal with paint (for vehicles) is to protect the metal underneath it from exposure. Personally, I am NOT a big fan of POR 15, which is something that is touted all over the place.

I live in a major rust belt, and have had experience with it for OVER 40 years of driving. I had a car sit on a major street in Chicago for over 2 years, never being washed, and getting salt spray on and under it all that time. When I got back to it, it didn't have a speck of rust because of how I had prepped it. Most of my bud's thought I was nuts when I was doing it, but later freaked (I was happily surprised myself).

What I did, was when I changed oil, I'd use the old oil and rubbed it underneath, on the frame, body and suspension parts. I didn't do that to one of my old Suburban's and the body literally rusted off the frame. I DO like the clear coats as they provide a tougher shield against the elements, but if ya don't use a mask when ya spray that stuff, you die! All I'm sayin is just keep your eyes and mind open. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Machine guns

Post by Jim M »

Was not aiming at the 1st ID, but rather a very broad shot at what movie makers use for german armor. Guess the thinking is if it is a big thing on tracks, then it must be bad :shock: And having said that, it must be german.

Even big production movies like the "Battle of the Bulge" was filmed in Sapin and used M-60s as german panzers. I do reenactment and at one of the Battles last year, one of the gentleman who dresses a German panzer officer had his Tiger out for the battle.
That is one impressive machine. Can well understand the fear it caused when faced. Just hearing the rumble of the treads on the ground as it nears does help the pucker factor :shock:
But a few well placed bazooka rounds took care of it!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

Yeah, saw that too. Noticed the same. As I've mentioned many times, my Dad was at Bastonge during that time period. When that movie came out he never went to see it, but when it finally came on TV, he did see it, and I can't repete what he shouted all through it, but it has something to do with bovine fecal matter. :lol: They've got both Panzers & Tigers over at Cantiegy, and I know they scare hell outa me if they comin towards me. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Machine guns

Post by Jim M »

UGG,
What Unit was your Dad with? Mine was with the 106th Inf, 591st FAB. The 106th got their lunch handed to them by the Germans there. My Dad was one of 3 Troopers from his Battery to make through the Bulge in fairly good shape.

Jim M
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

My Dad was all over the place, as he was in 17 years by the time the war ended. He was even in England before the US entered the war. He turned down a commision because they wanted to send him back to Africa. He landed at Omaha on the 7th of June.

From that point on, he said he was driving a major around all over Europe. They were in logistics. At the time of Bastonge, he said he kept thinking of his apartment in Paris, and how the hell did he end up there? :lol: He had only talked about his 1 Purple Heart, and I was surprised to find out about the 2 others and the 2 Bronze Stars (all from Bastonge).

I'm currently trying to get a copy of how and why he got all his medals, and am trying to narrow down what and where he was. At the time of his burial, I wasn't in the proper mind set to ask the officer of his honor gurad how to get that info, and have since hit brick walls. :evil:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

the rat patroll alive and well

http://www.lrdg.org/index.html

yep I think you can by the series on CD. these days

I think a lot of people confuse the .30 cal with the 50. cal
Im, perty sure most j**ps just had .30s even the M151.
mg.mount was only for the M-60 mg.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Very easy for people to mis identify weapons. If I had a quid for every moron that told me the SAS had Lewis guns on their Jeeps I'd own a Command Car. :evil: The Guns were ex RAF Vickers K guns, replaced by belt fed .303 Brownings in aircraft. The preffered weapon for recce and units operating behind enemy lines in Europe were the MG38/42 "Spandu". The reason was the noise signature. Love to mount one on my Dodge but can't afford it.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Machine guns

Post by Jim M »

And this is why we get the big bucks for our knowledge :cry:
Have often thought of opening a Military Advisor business to end some of this misunderstandig/use of military equipment by film makers.
Just need to get off my butt and do it :oops:

Jim M
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

DON'T :!: I've done film and TV work with horses and vehicles. The majority of film people are a bunch of cretins. Accuracy, well on recent series in UK Islands at War supposedly set in the Channel islands. About the only fact they had right was that World War Two happned. Much more fun is the Living history, we get to make up our own scenarios and discuss them with the public afterwards.
P.S. pet hate the amount of books where the hero "Flicks off the saftey catch on his revolver" :roll:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Jim:

I haven't done anything like that (as I really don't have the knowledge), but have talked to people who have/do, and it's pretty much like Tony says, plus, they really don't care.

Tony:

Flicked the safety on my revolver! LMFAO! :lol:

Brian:

I can see where those who don't know can easily confuse the 30 & the 50, but once ya seen, heard, or used a Ma Deuce, YOU KNOW the difference, FOREVER! :lol: When I was talking to my friend's father, he was in an Infantry unit, and he mentioned the 50's mounted on the Jeeps, and he was VERY specific. He also said how surprised he was when firing it that the Jeep didn't shake apart, and how well it took it, what with that little pedestal mount.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"