Need 12 volt generator

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Need 12 volt generator

Post by Ken J »

Hi All:

I am nearing driveability for my WC-43 (didn't run when I bought it) and in the process of converting to 12 volt system, I have found I don't have the right voltage generator (the one I have stamped 12 volts will not make more than 9 volts at 2,000 rpm; as it only has two field coils, it appears to be a 6 volt unit).

If anyone has one they may part with, it would help me greatly. Or, if anyone can tell me which civilian autmotive applications would work, that would also be great.

I can disassemble, clean, paint, and repair bearings in one myself, so it doesn't need to be in pristine condition, but I don't want one that has a bad armature or bad field coils, as I can't repair those.

While I am looking for a negatively-grounded unit, I can use a positively-grounded one, as I know how to change the field leads.

Thanks for any help out there!

-Ken
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The original 12 Volt 55 Amp Generator is large and heavy, approximately 60 lb. It requires a special pulley and special mounting bracket and brace. The regulators are scarce too.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

I have a few of those generators laying around. The bearings spin freely, but can't guarantee their serviceability. I have no regulators for them. Will go cheap. Best bet, (in my warped opinion), is to just install a mid-seventies Delco internally regulated unit on the truck for now and get in on the road, then wait until good original parts come around.