COMBAT GARAGE- HISTORY CHANNEL- DECEMBER 15, 2006

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

COMBAT GARAGE- HISTORY CHANNEL- DECEMBER 15, 2006

Post by RANGER »

This is a great hobby, there are many who enjoy it. There is no way we all can know each other, but we do get a chance to meet others at shows, flea markets, forums, etc. We learn all we can by owning, joining local chapters studying books, asking questions on forums, and watching war movies. There are some who work at this hobby for a living, and do not get caught up in forums like this, but still contribute to the hobby by being in the restoration business.We rarely hear from them but do benefit from their expertise by the example their restored trucks present.
There is one restoration shop that stands out and is one of the best in the business. MIL SPEC, owned by Bob Rubino is second to none when it comes to restoration background, he has restored WWII wheeled and tracked vehicles of both US and WWII Axis Army, and has traveled the world to gather parts and vehicles to restore. We rarely hear from Bob, but his work speaks for itself. He is assisted in his shop by Jim Gilmore, most of us in the hobby recognize Jim. Bob also owns a CCKW which took honors at the recent MVPA National Convention. Bob's work was recently featured in the June 2006 issue of Auto Restorer, which can be purchased as a back issue by doing a Google search. The feature article includes work on returning a 1941 CCKW SWB to factory condition from bumper to bumper includng the early vacuum brake assist, engine configuration, unique early SWB exhaust that exits on the passenger side, etc. The article is loaded with information on why most existing CCKWs rarely have the same body and cab the left the factory with, and also have most of the WWII upgrades and MWOs that made them more reliable and serviceable. Is in ones best interest if you are seeking to learn all the CCKW background possible. CCKW owners Bob, Sven Johnson, Eric Kosalko, along with Jim Gilmore, provide much insight and logic about the CCKW. They are also fun loving members of the Pennsylvania area Red Ball Chapter. I only wish I lived closer so as to take part in their monthly meeting and the monthly convoys.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

On December 15th 11PM four Red Ball Chapter Members will be appearing on a new hour long show, "COMBAT GARAGE."

It will be starring award winning CCKW restorers Bob Rubino, Eric Kosalko, Steve Finelli, and Jim Gilmore. It will be about reuilding Sheman Tanks and features the MIL SPEC Shop where some of the best CCKWs in the world the are restored.

The producer of the show is also the producer of MAIL CALL.

If it does well it may become a Series. Be sure to E mail the History Channel after the show to sound off your approval.

Bob has restored some award winning Wheeled and Tracked MVs for private collectors and museums. He recently rebuilt a 500HP Ford V-8 for one of the original M-26 Tanks that fought at the Remagen Bridge.

Bob and Eric are proud CCKW owners, Bobs' CCKW took honors at the 2006 MVPA National Convention, and was used to transport Eric and his Bride from the church to the reception earlier this year, Bob was Best Man. It was the first time Bob was given a ride in back of his own CCKW.

Don't miss it.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Reminder,
Please glue yourself to the History Channel on your tube at 11:00 PM EST tonight.
Help make this program a success, as it will be both informative and entertaining. The Stars are all members of the Red Ball Chapter, a first class MV club that meets one night a month, and has monthly convoys that end up with a feast at the destination.
Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hardbird »

What an excellent show! I hope that the History Channel picks it up as a regularly scheduled weekly series!

Congratulations goes out to executive producer Rob Lihani and his team for a great job! Well done!

And congratulations to Mil-Spec and The American Society of Military History as well for being the first to be featured on "Combat Garage"!

Excellent team work guys!

I left my feedback at the History Channel programming department!

Ron Leatherman
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954

1943 Autocar M15A1 / M16A1 Half-track
(converted to the M3 standard)

http://www.mv-restoration.com
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I will do the same soon as I get some sleep. It's 2:10AM, I continued to watch the History Channel, the sandman has cometh.

This show opens up the doors for plenty of topics. It would be nice to see the finished products of quality restorations of Wheeled and Tracked Vehicles and the effort that is put into them to bring them back to fighting condition.

Bob Rubino and his gang are naturals.The portrayal of the group of able volunteers from the Armored Museum getting their hands greasy on the GAA engine demonstrates what "pitching in" is all about.

The producer is on track with "COMBAT GARAGE", I felt right at home watching it as I have lived those scenarios for 40+ years. I look forward to many more exciting shows.
42cckw
Corporal
Corporal

Combat garage

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Ranger
Great show thanks for the heads up :!: One of the best things I liked about it was their attitude to preserve these historic vehicles ,with emphasis on doing it correct.I hope they have a show on the WW11 GMC :wink: I will email the history channel and leave a very positive feedback :) I also like the name of the show it's perfect.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Did anybody sit in their Jeep and watch it? Just think, when the weather is good I can back my CCKW up to a window and a whole truckload can watch at once from the troopseats. :wink:
Airborne Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Combat Garage

Post by Airborne Bob »

Stayed up and watched, excellant show, brings back memories, in 1952 we worked in 2 man tems and I helped to changed a clutch in a M4A3 in Camp Drum, Watertown NY in winter of 1952. Will also email History chanel on a great job and look forward to more. Bob
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Guys:

I think they're on to something there, and will give my feedback to them a bit later, but it definately NEEDS tweaking. It reminded me of an old military training film, and I really don't think the general public will buy into that. It was a bit dry, and as is, will only interest those already into the hobby, and probably not win any converts. Again, this comes under TWEAKING. At some points, it even lost my interest. :shock: Oh well, lets all give the History Channel the thumbs up, and THEN have em pep it up a bit.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

I caught the show by accident. i hope they keep it up.