CCKWs had Quad 50s mounted on them

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKWs had Quad 50s mounted on them

Post by RANGER »

CCKWs with the quad 50 were a formidable weapon. I served with an AAA Battalion and witnessed quad 50s being used to fire at targets being towed by R-Cat drones. The firing range was about 1.5 miles long and had several types of AAA being utilized on the targets. The targets were flown past Batteries of Quad 50s, next past Twin 40MM cannon mounted on M-19 and M-42 gun carriages, and finally past a battery of 90MM AA guns. I can still rememember the rattling of the .50s, then the rapid banging of the Twin 40s, and finally the unforgetable roar and concussion of the 90MM AA being fired 150' from me as I sat in the Battery COs M-38A1 Jeep.
It was interesting to watch the drones being fired at as they had a kill switch in the fuselage that was supposed to shut off the engine and release a parachute to lower the drone for recovery. Sometimes the engine would not shut off but the parachute would release which made it interesting as the drone would then head in any direction.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it