CCKW Helpful hint

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Helpful hint

Post by RANGER »

There are some items that are a necessity if one is going to own a CCKW or any 4X4 6X6 with multiple gear boxes, it is a good idea to have your own stock of GO on hand in order to replentish those dripping gear boxes. I keep a 35# (5 Gallon) pail of 80W-90 Gear Oil in my shop in order to top off my gear boxes as it is a convenience not to have to drive with a gearbox that may need oil to town to get topped off.

Alemite makes a 7117-1 Manual Fluid Dispensing Pump that clamps onto both the metal or plastic 35# (5Gallon) pail. It can be found at dealers who sell Gas station supplies. I have had one for 35 years, it has a 3' hose and a "J" shaped Filler Nozzle.It sells in the range of $55.00-$60.00.

A 35# Pail of Gear Oil costs in the range of $45.00-$80.00, depending on the quality. DO NOT BUY THAT $20.00 SAMS CLUB Oil, it is not good enough for your CCKW, as it appears to break down after a few miles.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it