WC 59

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

WC 59

Post by Ugg »

Hey:

Never heard of it huh? Well that's because it never came to be. There were 2 or 3 prototypes made according to an article I read in "Dodge Military Vehicles (1940-1945)" by Bryce Sunderlin. The actual vehicles were called WC 53 "Specials". They were the field limo's we've all heard so much about. You know, "The Holy Grail". :mrgreen: There is even an actual photo of one.

He went on to say that if produced, they would have been called the WC 59. If ya have a copy of TM 9-1808B, go to fig. 108, and you'll see it for yourself. It is FREAKIN NEAT! I will say, that I had a picture of it in my mind's eye, and I was totally wrong. Also, contrary to popular belief, it was NOT stretched. I wish I could post the picture, but if anybody wants a copy, email or PM me. I have it on a Word format.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
lucky
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by lucky »

Hi Ugg,

I hope that everything runs well around Uggville....could you send me that picture by Email next time?

Thanks

Holger
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yes it would be a beast. With the current craze for Retro design do you think we could looby Dodge to start production again? :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Kaegi

WC59

Post by Kaegi »

I have fantasized about trying to build one from a WC 53. WC59 is a telephone maintenance truck. See TM 9808
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Steve:

I will check into that, but maybe, had the "Special" been approved, the line truck woulda been something else. :oops: I just re-re-reread the article. :oops: Now I'm gonna have the shave my ass (again) and walk backwards (again). :oops: It said "had it been approved, it would have gotten it's own WC designation". It then mentioned the WC 59. I better brush up on my speed reading, the Altzhimer's is kickin in. :oops:

I think anyone that heard about the field limo has fantasized about building it at one time or another. I know I have. Now seeing it, it's even more feasible.

Holger:

It's on it's way.

(blushingly)Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

There is a picture and artical on the WC59 Feild Limousine £/2 ton 4x4 in the Broklyn Book on Dodges. Is this the artical you mean?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Tony:

Yeah, that's the critter, but it's BROOLANDS BOOK. :P :wink: :lol: Very interesting. Like the old saying, the more ya learn, the more ya realize how much ya don't know.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"