Rare US6 Studebaker 6X6 find

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Rare US6 Studebaker 6X6 find

Post by RANGER »

There is a Studebaker 6X6 with 1100 miles posted on eBay. For Studebaker 6X6 fans this is the find of a lifetime. I believe the Starting bid is $45,000 US and the Buy-It-Now is $145,000. It is apparant that the ownervis in no hurry to sell it as there are a lot of zeros in the Buy-It-Now.
It is a great opportunity to get an intact WWII 6X6 in near new condition. Note that the USA Registration was Blue Drab and 2" in height in 1945. I would love to purchase it. Anyone want to pass the hat for me?

This weeds out the tire kickers, as it is being marketed to serious collectors only. I love it when there is someone with the foresight to invest in an object and hold on to it until the time is ripe.

What an exciting find :!: :!: :!:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

On the serious side, though, is that the truck most likely needs a complete service to Wheel Seals, Wheel Bearings, Wheel and Master Cylinders, Booster, Hoses and Fuel System(note the fuzz in the fuel tank fill pipe). The Water ump will not heal by itself, and if the Cooling system has never been serviced and has sat 60 years with stale Prestone, it could get costly. I can see an easy $2500 expended just to get it roadworthy, and another $2000.00 for tires as the originals are time bombs. And don't forget the exhaust. Still, not a bad deal for the person with the means to purchase the Studebaker.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Have you ogt a link?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It's gone with the wind, maybe it never was meant to be. It needed some expert attention (one would not want just anyone working on a hundred thousand dollar+ truck) from the description of the water pump, sticking wheel cylinders, and the photos of the white deposits inside the fuel tank. It had never been preserved for long term storage.
Sometimes it is better to drive a vehicle to keep it excercised, this one should be sent to a facility such as Bob Rubinos' Mil Spec to give it the TLC necessary to command the price that was expected.
In my opinion, if one expects over 100 grand for a vehicle, it ought to look and run like 100 grand.

I'm still waiting for Ad Homium up in Orilla Ontario, Canada to make good on their 1976 offer of new 1943 Jeeps packed in crates of 3. I have their letter in my thick and still growing BS folder.

The bottom of the oceans also have like new 6X6s.
Dive! Dive! Dive!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Do not feel bad if you missed out on buying the US6. There are still some veyy low mileage CCKWs with special purpose bodies in the hands of collectors overseas that will be just as great a prize at 1/10 the price.
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Couldn't afford those prices anyway.
I've got a WC21 and just replaced the startermotor.
How nice to start without having to use the handcrank!!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Olaf, is that you? :? It's good to put 2 & 2 together. :lol: Now that ya got that starter working, how ya gonna keep them arms in shape. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Ugg wrote:Olaf, is that you? :? It's good to put 2 & 2 together. :lol: Now that ya got that starter working, how ya gonna keep them arms in shape. :wink:

Later
Damn, you blew my cover.........distant sounds of footsteps heading for the hills.......
I'll use my arms for steering and waving to beautiful girls.
My 9 year old niece always feels embarrassed when I call a girl a darling while cruising by.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Yo Olaf:

Don't worry, with my memory, I'll forget by tomorrow. :lol:
Enigma wrote:distant sounds of footsteps heading for the hills.......
followed by the clickity clack of toe nails on hard surfaces, with panting breath and very deep, low pitched growling sounds......

I'm to damn old to run anymore, so I just send out the Critter Kids to do my "Light Work". :twisted:

Try using dish, dame, tomato or sweet potato. That's really get your niece, and you'll also be more "HISTORICALLY" correct. :wink: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Ugg wrote:Yo Olaf:

Don't worry, with my memory, I'll forget by tomorrow. :lol:
Enigma wrote:distant sounds of footsteps heading for the hills.......
followed by the clickity clack of toe nails on hard surfaces, with panting breath and very deep, low pitched growling sounds......

I'm to damn old to run anymore, so I just send out the Critter Kids to do my "Light Work". :twisted:

Try using dish, dame, tomato or sweet potato. That's really get your niece, and you'll also be more "HISTORICALLY" correct. :wink: :lol:

Later
Will be a little hard to translate into Dutch, don't think it would make any sense..
Were like wine, getting better with age......OK I feel like vinegar! :roll:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Olaf:

Simple, don't translate. The GI's back then didn't, and they got their point accross. :twisted: Besides, it's kinda universal. :lol: Here's another, "Yo Toots". Of course ya need to be drivin the WC and dressing the part. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Ugg wrote:Olaf:

Simple, don't translate. The GI's back then didn't, and they got their point accross. :twisted: Besides, it's kinda universal. :lol: Here's another, "Yo Toots". Of course ya need to be drivin the WC and dressing the part. :wink:

Later
Gotta try that then.
Your fault if I get a black eye... :D
Steve Greenberg
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
1944 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

US6 Studebaker

Post by Steve Greenberg »

Hello,
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1945-Stu ... dZViewItem
Thanks,
Steve 8)
1942 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
1944 GMC 2 1/2 6X6 Ton Amphibian Truck DUKW
1944 Diamond T 4 ton 6X6 Wrecker (For Sale)
Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hardbird »

What a amazing find! It should be gone though mechanically to help preserve it, and then left just the way it is! How cool!

She would look great sitting back home at the Studebaker National Museum, located near me in South Bend, Indiana.

Maybe the owner would consider placing the truck there on temporary display? It would be of great interest to Studebaker fans.

See the link below:

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

I passed the information about the truck to the Studebaker Drivers Club to see if they could find the owner to do a story for their magazine "Turning Wheels".

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

Ron
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954

1943 Autocar M15A1 / M16A1 Half-track
(converted to the M3 standard)

http://www.mv-restoration.com
Hanno Spoelstra
Private

Post by Hanno Spoelstra »

auction #1, best offer US $18,100.00
relisted
#2, best offer US $12,000.00
relisted
#3 sold for US $13,995.00

I think it is the buy of a lifetime for any Studebaker enthusiast!

H.