CCKW on good 'ol leaded gasoline (petrol)

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW on good 'ol leaded gasoline (petrol)

Post by RANGER »

They sure ran better in those days. One could walk up to a CCKW that had been parked several years and add battery, water, oil, and a little TLC and they would fire right up. Try that today with the chemistry in your tank that is called "gasoline" Many of the present variety of fuels do not keep well in the tank and in as short a time as 6 months will deteriorate to the point where the CCKW will complain. It takes a bit more tweaking to keep a CCKW percolating normally with todays' fuels than it did in the good old days of leaded gasoline.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

Nothing goes in my HMVs, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, classic cars, chainsaws & yard implements of destruction other than non-oxygenated, non ethanol premium (octane 92). Everything runs just fine on it, and it can sit in a tank or a can overwinter without turning to crap. We call it "off road and collectible vehicle" gasoline on the pump here in Minnesota. Stay away from the ethanol blends and the oxygen crap!
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Hawk:

What's the MVT? :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

MVT?

Post by Minnhawk »

Ugg: MVT = Military Vehicle Trust, a fine organization of UK enthusiasts across the pond -- on the Island. I've tagged along on two of their Normandy convoys, met some good friends, and enjoy their Windscreen magazine very much. I have been a member of the IMPS (Invicta) in the past, but find it hard to pay my dues -- MVT is much easier to pay through website. I also enjoy the Greensheets.....stuff for sale.

http://www.mvt.org.uk/
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Hawk:

Thanks. I had just found out what that was the other day. It was one of those lightbulb over the head moments. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One could always drain a few gallons now and then to power the chainsaw or snow blower during storage, thus avoiding al that stale fuel.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it