VF axle question

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

VF axle question

Post by Kaegi »

I want to know what model the front axle is on a VF Dodge. on anohter forum I am in debate with someone over the size. I think it is the same size as the later Rockwell split axle used in W500 dodges but has a smaller knuckle assembly. does anyone have any specs, part number or model number for the VF front?
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Re: VF axle question

Post by Ken J »

Will try to remember to look when I go to see my truck again- it may be a few weeks as it lives about 30 miles away in storage (sorry!).

-Ken
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Lets see now, VF front axles.

1. VF Parts List has no part number for a complete front axle, just bits.

2. VF Parts List shows Bendix-Weiss and Rzeppa joint types, so both were used.

3. VF Parts List part numbers suggest this was a Dodge / Chrysler own brand axle.

4. VF Manual has no real info, but does reflect both joint types as above.

5. Master Parts List gives only one number, 598825, for axle with Rzeppa joints.

That's about all the original paperwork tells me, but I think Dodge pioneered this size / configuration of drive axle around 1934 and would have produced it in quantity at least as early as the TF40x4 in 1939.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

thanks, that makes sense as Dodge did everything before anyone else! I guess I can t win the debate on whether it is the same size as the later Rockwell set up without actually physically measuring.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I'll throw another log on the fire here...

I do also have a manual for the T203B (DX6519) which shows the manual information for the export version of the same truck - rather annoyingly it doesn't have the chassis numbers or quantities prdouced though.

One of the differences I noticed to the standard T203 manual (D9122 and similar) is that it only shows the Rzeppa joint type on the front axle details, just like the Master Parts List.

From this I'd suggest ( no evidence ) that the Bendix - Weiss and Rzeppa joints were in use when the VF401, 402, and 403 were produced, but they went to the Rzeppa joint only some time in the production sequence, and the export trucks were probably made at the end of the production run by which time only the Rzeppa joint was in use.

I suspect that, like the jeeps, you could swap the Bendix - Weiss and Rzeppa joints as complete units, but not sure. Anyone have the manual for the VF404, 405, 406, and 407 to confirm that only the Rzeppa joint type is shown for the front axle?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

My theory about the joint change concurs with yours. I believe everyone dropped the Bendix Weiss joint because of the added cost to manufacture. The Bendix joint is a superior design but the Rzeppas in Dodges are so enormous that breakage is not an issue. I have never seen a broken one in a 3/4 ton. I have seen plenty of broken Trachta joints from post war Power Agons though. well a few anyway. the ear can break off one of the axles.
Jim Allen
Private

Post by Jim Allen »

I believe the axle center section is a Timken spiral bevel type with the knuckles added, possibly by Chrysler's Detroit Gear. Timken supplied axles for the '30's era K-39-X-4 and RF-40-X-4 trucks. It's similar to the type used on the Jimmy deuces. I found some info on this and filed it... but now I can't find it. I'll look around a little more. Considering the number of filing cabinets I have, that's not too surprising but I have two drawers just devoted to axles. You'd think it would be there.
Last edited by Jim Allen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

well that is more than I knew before. that makes sense. thanks Jim
Fleetmaster
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1940 Dodge VC-3
1940 Dodge VF404
1941 Dodge WD-21 Panel Medical Services
1941 Autocar U5044T
1941 Chevrolet Pickup 4x2 US Navy Recruitment Services
1942 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Staff Car
1943 MB

Post by Fleetmaster »

If this can be of any help...

Comes from "Dodge Truck T-203 Parts list"
VF 404 - 407 or TM10-1178

Bart
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

From what I have been told, the Rzeppa is the stronger of the two. In Dave Zentmeyer's book, he says to use the Rzeppa joint in any conversion. I belive it was more expensive and time comsuming to manufacture the Rzeppa joint with the cage and all the rest of the parts than the Bendix. Perhaps that is why the 3/4 and 1.5 ton WC's only came with Bendix joint. Only guessing here.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

You are correct I had it all backwards. Rzeppas are stronger. There is none that fit in 3/4 tons either. thanks
Dozerman51 wrote:From what I have been told, the Rzeppa is the stronger of the two. In Dave Zentmeyer's book, he says to use the Rzeppa joint in any conversion. I belive it was more expensive and time comsuming to manufacture the Rzeppa joint with the cage and all the rest of the parts than the Bendix. Perhaps that is why the 3/4 and 1.5 ton WC's only came with Bendix joint. Only guessing here.
Jim Allen
Private

Post by Jim Allen »

Yeah, the Rzeppa is stonger than the Bendix and is a true constant velocity joint. The Bendix comes close, but not quite. Interesting stories on how both those units came to be. Art Herrington came out with another design for front axles, which is now called the Double-Cardan and is commonly used on high angle driveshafts. I've never been able to find any history on the Tracta Joint... Anyone?

"Dave" Zentmeyer? Do you mean John Zentmeyer, the Dodge guru and inventor of the Lock-Right locker?
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

In the 3/4 tons the Bendix joint has proven to be excellent. Dave Butler told me they have never sold one of the thousands of NOS Ball bearings that he has for those joints. So they started gluing them to a piece of wood and giving them away at the annual rally as 'Steel Balls award" for the peole who drove their Dodge to the rally the greatest distances :thumbup:
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

HI Jim,
Yes you are right, I meant to say John not Dave Zentmeyer. I used his book to find the 4.30 third members that I recently installed in my WC-12. Best thing I have ever done on the truck in a long time.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have had NOS Rzeppa WC axles.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it