NAPA # for DUKW Headlight?

Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

NAPA # for DUKW Headlight?

Post by Minnhawk »

Anyone know the modern cross-reference for the DUKW headlight at NAPA or other auto parts stores in the States?

Also, looking for a DUKW speedometer cable -- CCKW one is apparently too short to reach.

Also, looking for 3 DUKW bows very badly. Any leads stateside?
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Just tell 'em you want a PAR 56 6 Volt sealed beam,it is the same size that most 6 Volt cars and trucks of the 40s-50s used. As for your Bows, the CCKW, M-135 bows are the same, contact Bob Muller or Frank V, they will sell you as many as you want. Par 56 is an industry term tells them the size of the lens, Par 46 is WWII Jeep, for example. If you try to explain it is specific to a WWII DUKW you will generate a lot of giggles opon exiting the door. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

Ranger: Thanks for the info on the sealed beams. The DUKW's headlights look bigger than a CCKWs, but perhaps it is because of their location.

It is my understanding that a DUKW's bows are a one piece steel bow. My DUKW came with two steel bows and three of the wooden and steel CCKW bows. I am looking for the one piece hollow steel bows.
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have no idea where to find the steel bow, the GM 2153660 Corner is also used on the CCKW and have been used on M-Series trucks also.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
David Welch
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by David Welch »

John
Brian Asbury has the speedo cables and may have a light.
David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The DUKW Head Light Body Assy. is the same as used on CCKW< Chevrolet 4X4, IH M5H6, Diamond T 6X6, Autocar and Federal 5 Ton 4X4, etc, the sealed beams are the same size for these also, except for the larger trucks that were 12 Volts. Your truck may have European origin headlamps if it is surplus from over there. There are some wierd headlamps showing up from overseas returns. Guide is the only Head Lamp Body that CCKW and DUKW were delivered with.
Steve Greenberg
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
1944 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

DUKW

Post by Steve Greenberg »

John,
You are correct, the DUKW rear top bows are all steel. I do not know of anyone who has some for sale. Try Hank Labarbra. He may know of some. He may have the speedo cable too. Brent Mullins use to have some NOS headlights for the DUKW/CCKW. The original DUKW headlight bulbs had plastic lenses. I have one in my DUKW that still works.
Steve 8)
1942 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
1944 GMC 2 1/2 6X6 Ton Amphibian Truck DUKW
1944 Diamond T 4 ton 6X6 Wrecker (For Sale)
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

DUKW Headlamp

Post by Minnhawk »

Well, NAPA came through, but our local guys don't make it easy -- if the part isn't for a GM or Ford pickup, they are not willing to dig. I finally asked to look through the lamp catalog and found the correct sealed beam in the back section. Here it is:

6 volt sealed beam Headlamp: NAPA # LMP6006 $14.95

As Joel says, this should fit jimmies and other vehicles. They DO have a 12 volt PAR 56 also available, but I didn't get the #.

Also noticed in the back section NAPA carries 24volt "military" headlamps, so all of you M-37, M-35, M-151 types out there are covered too.

Steve: Plastic lens? That explains the discoloration of the headlamp lens which is not working! Brilliant! I wondered what the problem was with it.

I am getting nervous about the steel DUKW bows. We can have a speedo cable made up if I need to, but those bows are pretty unique.

Thanks to all for the help!
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There are three different Sealed Beam bulbs listed for the DUKW, First is GM-925000 the Metal Backed Glass unit that also is listed for CCKW, GM-2162079 supedsedes it and it has a glass back. The third is GM-929897, Sealed Beam with Lucite Lens and metal back. There is no explanation as to the purpose of the LUCITE lens, but it may be resistant to thermal shock from a combination of cold water and hot lens.
I prefer to use the original GM-925000 Metal backed Sealed beam because of its original WWII Look. No 10' inspection criteria on my trucks.