CCKW BATTERY BOXES

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW BATTERY BOXES

Post by RANGER »

There are two wooden spacer blocks used at the top of the CCKW Battery Box Covers that keep the battery in place, they are only effective when the correct original spec battery is used. What is strange is that early CCKW 352 SWB Trucks of the same production run can have battery hangers with either the long or short cover. My CCKW 352 has the hanger that requires the long cover. The two hangers are different and require different blt patterns. I have NOS short hangers of the proper part number as shown in the SNL and the holes in the frame do not match. It is possible that there was more than one chassis plant supplying frames to the GMC assembly plants. If only one could access the drawings for the GM part numbers used on CCKWs, it would clear up mysteries. These factory drawings would have notes as to which Chassis numbers the battery box hangers went to. Figuring out the different battery box covers and hangers is one of the most confusing items listed in the SNLs.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi RANGER:

I assume (and we all know what assume stands for) that you have tried to locate these drawings in the past. Have ya ever tried the Smithsonian?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I will leave that up to someone else. I do not have the time . I am familiar with research, and will leave it up to someone with the energy and resources.
I have used the Ford Museum Archives before and it gets expensive.The Museum has all drawings for every WWII vehicle that they produced. The information costs big time. GM drawings exist, but the cost of research has to be passed on, and it will most likely never be posted for free. There are persons who will provide these services. My friend Lawrence Nabholtz spent much time and money to research vehicles, he was good at it, but it cost a lot and he recovered his investment by selling photos and publishing a book. You will not find many who will do expensive research for free. Many good articles on WWII vehicles are in the works for the MVPA, and will show up in Army Motors, it pays to belong, good things are worth waiting for.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it