Ford truck model 1942

All other trucks not mentioned above.
Bob
Private

Ford truck model 1942

Post by Bob »

Hello guys,
another question.This time to the Ford experts...
I searched and searched on the net for information about this truck,but I found none.Image
I know that the German army had the same with different front(1941):Image
My questions are first:the weight,are spare parts easy to find and if possible,his worth...
Any supplementary information is welcome :D
Thanks a lot
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Ford truck model 1942

Post by Robbo »

Extracts from TM9-2800 relating to 6 cyl version - V8 a little heavier of course.
Value and parts availabity depends on locality - all old trucks in good condition are getting more valuable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Morning / evening Robbo

It also came as quite a range of truck types.

That same basic chassis was the basis for the Marmon-Herrington 4 x 4 conversion and my SnoGo, which weighed close to 7 tons by the time all the reinforcement and extra equipment was on it.

They are not uncommon as chassis/cabs. Engine and mechanical parts can be found, bodywork less easy. I'd think a major factor in a buying decision would be does it have a back body? is it original? or if there is no back body could I find one?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Bob
Private

Post by Bob »

OK,thanks! :D
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Can't beat the sound of Henry's old flathead V8 and those straight cut transmission gears - should drag my example out of shed and get going again. Too hot just now though.
Bob
Private

Post by Bob »

Here Robbo...
With this you can dream without getting yours out...(Wich one do you have???)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDW6WKEIqGA
Bob
Private

Post by Bob »

Hello guys,
one more question.I love this truck and would like to have a military one(G8T).But I only find civillian ones with the V8...
I found on the internet that military ones had 6 cylinders.My question is:did v8 ones exist in the army?
I don't think so but I stil hope so...
Thanks a lot!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Yes they did, and I've seen a few.

My Marmon Herrington SnoGo snow blower had a V8 up the front (and a straight six for the blower unit), and a lot of those were converted to plain cargo trucks by restorers. One of those would do you, with the added advantage of four wheel drive.

I've seen the V8 version of the standard 4 x 2 truck too, but don't know how common they were.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ken Blythen »

I don't know a lot about the military G8T version,except that I have read that they had a 6-stud wheels instead of 5, tow hooks, headlight guards, blackouts & no parklights, bigger tanks & the 'Ford' stamping deleted from the hood. Some of these points don't apply to the truck in your photo, so maybe it was civilian originally?

Over here (New Zealand) we had that model civilian truck (42-47)in big numbers - here they were nick-named "Jailbars" due to the vertical grill. I've heard ours were Canadian built, but I don't know for sure. Maybe Australian too.
We rate by payload here & they were available in 3 & 5 ton versions, in addition to the pickup & 1-Ton models.

I have the remains of a 1-Ton version of that 1941 truck that avoided being commandeered; one day I might restore it- won't be for a while though - gotta finish the GMC first!
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Thanks Bob for those YouTube links to old sidevalve Ford V8's - been clicking on different ones for an hour at least - they sure do sound sweet. I feel sorry for young punks who will never know the sound of a V8 - they are deluded into thinking turbo-charged 4 cylinders are the only way to get up and go.

One thing I do know is that I will never sell my old Ford truck.

Here's my pick of the YouTube video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45yw_I2Smw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0Ph4uuRaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVZ166d848

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYsRByB12I

I think old Henry would have approved of these mods - he was a racer from way back.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

One of my earliest childhood memories when I was living in the UK is hearing the name Ford V8 Pilot. This would be in the Mid-Fifties, so I can only imagine it must of been a Car my Dad liked. Somewhere, I also remember hearing that the car was produced to use-up all the Surplussed Ford V8 engines from WW2...probably not true. :)

Also from the same period, a Garage my Dad used, had a wheel rim with a V8 hubcap attached to an outside wall to wind the Airline on. Funny the things you remember. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pilot
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Ford V8 Pilot:

They used a slightly different Ford V8 and the old fashioned torque tube drive if I remember rightly. I do seem to remember they had leather seats as I can still recall that leather smell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fgcyEt4YI
Sgt4mb
Private

Post by Sgt4mb »

Well the top photo is a 1942 1 ton, while the second one is a 41 1 1/2 ton. I just got rid of three complete and running 1 1/2 tons. One was a 40, one was a 41, and the third was a 46. I had two sets of NOS fenders, grills, doors, hoods etc. BUT the only thing is none of them had beds. I had spent the last 5 years trying to find decent beds with no luck, so I ended up getting rid of them for a CCKW K-53.

The 1940 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and 1 1/2 ton all share the same cab and sheet metal. The 1941 shares all the same sheet metal with the 41 3/4 ton, 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton. The dashes have minor differences between the 40 and 41 while both share the same fenders, doors, running boards. The 40 hood had the V8 stamped on the front of the hood just in front of the vents, while the 41 did not. The 41 also had a little different moulding on the hood, and hood sides. But for all intensive purposes all the sheet metal including the cab on the 40 and 41 can be swapped just remember that there are small cosmetic differences only that I mentioned above.

And now for the 42. The 42 3/4 ton, one ton, and 1 1'2 ton all share the same sheet metal from 42 to 46. But just remember that there will still be minor differences with the mouldings and dash only. The 42-46 1/2 fenders and front ends may look the same but they are not. The fenders are just a little narrower then the larger trucks. You can find parts all day long for the 42-46, but the 40/41 will be a little harder, but they are out there. Just drive out to the country and look around and you will find them everywhere, but then again almost all of them will not have beds or the beds will be so butchered that they are not even worth fixing. The good thing is that on the 42-46 you can use the ww2 chevy 1 1/2 ton bed if you can find any in your area, as that was the correct bed of the 42-45.

I still have a complete 40 1 1/2 ton running gear with the two speed rear axle that I would give away if someone just wanted to pick it up. It is very nice, no rust, never cut, and straight. I think I still have one rebuilt steering box and column and one that came out of a running driving 40 that has not been rebuilt. I even have one complete 40 front end I need to get rid of. Anyway I think I took up enough of your time.

Don
Sgt4mb
Private

Post by Sgt4mb »

Oh I forgot the engines. All three of my trucks were original military trucks. And all 3 of them had the flathead V8's. The 40 and 41 had the 85 hp 221 flatheads and the 46 had the 95 hp 239 flathead. So yes there are quite a few that did have the V8's, but they are not as common as the straight sixes. My extra running gear i want to get rid of was also a military 1 1/2 ton with a V8.

Don
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

As a young teenager I learned to drive in a '42 1.5 ton Ford stake bed. It was on our farm and if I recall correctly, it had a 6 cyl engine. Boy, that granny gear was slow!!
"What we've got here is ....... FAILURE ...... to communicate."

1941 Dodge WC-1, born 01/16/1941, adopted 10/19/2003