CCKW AIR FORCE BRATS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW AIR FORCE BRATS

Post by RANGER »

During the school years of 47-49 where I attended grammer school, the dependent students from the local air base were transported to school in a CCKW Cargo Truck with canvas cargo cover . They sat on troop seats, a set of metal steps with a railing was fixed to the lowered tailgate on the drivers side. The safety strap was in place wnen the truck was in motion. This was used year round, there was no heated bus for them to use. The truck was assigned to the Motor Vehicle Squadron of the 14th Fighter Group. They were the first unit in the Air Force to receive the new F-84B Thunder Jet. The unit had many famous WWII Aces from all theatres. I was taught how to ride my bicycle by Sgt Joe Strang, a former US Army Heavy Weight Boxing Champ who joined the Army in 1929. Joe was the Supply Sgt for the 14th. He used to help out at our business. He was a trainer for the Base Boxing Team. He retired in 1951 and worked as a civilian at the USAF Base in Anchorage Alaska until the 60s.I still have a GI Parker he gave my uncle Joe.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it