GMC Tools

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Sorry - don't know what happened with the double post

Ebay Number: 120042021638 on that DUKW P/Slip & Manual

The Packing Slip is much rarer than the manual!!

Post by Guest »

:shock: Boy, that was weird. Went to post a reply and got a timed out message, and I'M ON BROADBAND! :o

When we used to DX equipment, we'd take off everything that wasn't bolted on to it, and sometimes even things that were. :wink: It was always how parts would accume until an IG. :lol: It's also pretty damned amazin how fast you can hide stuff with a D9 Cat. :shock: :twisted:

Later
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey, this is really getting crazy. That was me above.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Has anyone made a practice of using the clumsy WWII open end wrenches on their CCKWs or other vehicles? They look nice in the tool bag, but...
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Made up a page showing the GMC tools:

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/GMCtools.html

Will add more as time and information permits.

Any suggestions??
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A wool US Army blanket is a must to display them on.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There is a CCKW Spark Plug Wrench on eBay. Tom Wolboldt has them, they areNOS in Cosmoline with GM Part number on them.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Regarding the finish on the tools, I note that the Stanley Works (maker of Stanley Tools) issued a bulletin to their customers in September 1941 stating that due to the "unprecedented National Emergency" the nickel-plated finish on their tools would be changing to cadmium plating as nickel was a strategic material. Their range of tools would be simplified and defence orders would take precedence to civilian customers.

The same conditions would have applied to all tool-makers so the shiny finish depicted on some of the tools in the manuals would have changed to the darker cadmium plating which, I think, is a grey colour.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The darker gray color is a phosphate finish, and was also specified by the Army agency responsible for tool contracts. One of the nice properties of the phosphate finish is it absorbs the oil to some extent, which preserves the tools.
I have wartime Snap-On tools with that finish, they are stamped with the same part number as todays chrome plated counterpart.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

The Vlchek tools for sale in an earlier post clearly look like being parkerized or phosphate-coated but what does cadmium plating look like.

Jim Gilmour has, I think, said that some of the jeep tools were cadmium plated at one point.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Not as bright as chrome and not polished.
The Army bought millions of hand tools in WWII. Many of the tools being offered are similarly marked just civilian tools from the 30s-50s with that same finish.
One must realize that the world has not stood still so that all available tools were held on shelves for the 21st century collector, many are yard sale variety. They are easy to come by for those who have time to case the flea markets and weekend yard sales.
I bought a like new "Ford" brass 1 Qt Fire Extinguisher at a yard sale that I traded for a NOS GPW Pintle Hook.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Here's a couple of old (and not very good) pictures of some NOS WW2 jacks - they were packed in sawdust-filled crates and the surplus dealer was glad to get rid of them as some were leaking oil over his floor.

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/Jack1.jpg
http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/Jack2.jpg
http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/GMC/Jack3.jpg

The two on the right of the lineup are definitely "right" for GMC - the Hein-Werner is painted Kelly Green and the Walker on the far right is O/Drab with GM embossed on its side. The conical "Dreadnaught" was made by the Auto Specialties Mfg Co and is the same height and 3-ton rating - maybe it's from a Studebaker US6 or perhaps GM used them too??.

The smaller 3-ton Walker on the left is for Dodge WC's.