Size of lettering on WC hood

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Size of lettering on WC hood

Post by Jim M »

Quick question for the group, I have a copy of the Army Reg on the marking of the US vehicles (1942) and in it states that the size of the lettering on the hood of the WC is to be 2 inch.
But I keep seeing WCs with lettering that looks like 3 inch or larger. What is the deal on sizing? Or is this just a case of field expediency :?

Thanks.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

They changed their minds

Post by Mike in VA, USA »

The early reg numbers etc were smaller and blue. Later they changed to larger white ones, and often painted 'em right over the originals.
Did you ever get a pattern for the lazy-back boards?

If it moves salute it, if it doesn't move paint it. I don't know where the trucks fit into that Army saying, but a video I got from Vintage Video shows a reassembly yard in Europe where they're painting the trucks in OD without masking, and spraying the star on the hood with a pasteboard stencil held down by gravity alone. I doubt the results would win at any show, despite authenticity.
'42 WC51, '77 M880, lots of Voortrekker powerplants-Eeegad! they're procreating
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Army paint brush, otherwise used for sweeping the yard. In the first 1991 gulf war British vehicles were being painted sand with yard brushes on the dock as they were loaded. My 101 still has the marks.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Complicated

Post by Gordon_M »

It varies - it really does.

Early trucks like my VC had 4" white letters in Standard Military Block, which carried on into the early WC half tons.

Some time in 1941-42 there was a directive to go to 2" drab blue - the dates are out there somewhere and any real jeep nut will know - Dodges of the same date range should be 2" drab blue.

Then - they decided that drab blue was a waste of time (since all the other marks were white) and they went back to 2" white, although I think this was after the start of 3/4 ton WC production.

So, in ballpark terms only...

VC or T207 = 4" white.

T211, T215, early T214, 2" blue

Later T214, T223 2" white.

.... and then, of course, all the trucks got overpainted after a year or so with whatever was at hand, and what is marked on your truck will depend on original date, number of times overpainted, and when, plus when it was surplussed out.

...and dont ask me about Navy, Marine Corps, or most of the AAF stuff.

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony B:

It's funny what ya said about painting over the vehicles at the dock. I've told this to my son so many times, he now says it for me. Any time we went to a MV show and see all the different vehicles with camo paint, looking real sweet and SPRAYED on, I would mention that in my entire (short but illustrious) military career, I never saw a sprayed on camo job. It was done like you said, or an army issue paint brush. Having NEVER seen a brandy new, from the factory military vehicle, they all seemed to be painted over the whole body that way. :lol: I've even painted a few myself, ranging from a M151 (jeep) to a M290 (earth mover). Again, that's the beauty of having a MV, you can do whatever ya want to it (as long it's from the correct time frame), and ya can't hear "That's Not Right", because who's to say some unit somewhere DIDN'T do that? :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Letter sizing

Post by Jim M »

Coming from the "old school" Army, why use a new brush when an old one will do just as well :lol:
The only thing that I ever saw being painted by an air gun was the entire vehicle. After that, paint brush works just just as well.
Thanks for the information on the numbering sizing on the WC. Pretty much what I thought it would be. Just want to do justice to the WC and put her in the proper war paint :wink:
Working on a WC is a continuing education process for me. Continue to learn something new everyday, almost.

Jim M
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

My WC51 gets used for Living history, she's done everything from VIP transport to rubbish shifting and towing in breackdowns. so the paint may get dirty and a bit chipped but what's th fun of a toy if you don't play with it? :D :D
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

number sizing

Post by Jim M »

RODGER THAT! 8)

Jim Monroe