GMC Tools

martylee

supply line magazine

Post by martylee »

Hi ugg!

You mentioned "supply line" magazine, what magazine is that? I guess it has to do with our interest in green vehicles. Is it something I ought to check out?

thanks!

Marty
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Supply Line is published by the Military Vehicle Preservation Association and is one of the benefits of membership. Everyone with an interest in green vehicles should join.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Marty:

What GTBGUY said. You also get a copy of Army Times too. Those 2 magazines are well worth the cost of membership.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Psssssssssst, Army Motors, Army Motors. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

:oops: Rough weekend. I was in hot pursuit of Mauldin's "Up Front", which is a replacement from the copy I had that was destroyed in a fire. :( I GOT IT! :D

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

You have good taste.
It's amazing how Mauldin captured the character and humor of the WWII GI.He was a very interesting man to talk to, his vocabulary was colorful, tosay the least. He was a man of his time.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Sup[ply Line Magazine

Post by Minnhawk »

GTBguy: You can go to mvpa.org to find out more about Supply Line and Army Motors.

To Join the MVPA and receive SUPPLY LINE and ARMY MOTORS click on "Memberships" under the Supply Room section.

I am the editor of Supply Line Magazine and will continue to work hard to make it a great publication for our membership.

John Varner
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Some discussion of Chev using mixed tool brands including Fairmount

See:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 1c0d3c92bb

Some GMC references refer to the screwdrivers as cross-recess type and others as cross-recess (phillips) type - I assume they are referring to the Phillips style in both cases and not clutch head screwdrivers in any of these references.
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: Sup[ply Line Magazine

Post by GTBGUY »

Minnhawk wrote:GTBguy: You can go to mvpa.org to find out more about Supply Line and Army Motors.

To Join the MVPA and receive SUPPLY LINE and ARMY MOTORS click on "Memberships" under the Supply Room section.

I am the editor of Supply Line Magazine and will continue to work hard to make it a great publication for our membership.

John Varner
John, I am #11,226 and am well aware of Army Motors and Supply Line. I just tried to keep the answer short and sweet.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER:

Met him a few times, along with Royko and others. Back in the day, I went to this place called the Billy Goat Taveren, and all them newspaper types used to go there. Not that any of those folk woulda remembered me even the next day though. :( SNL did a skit about that place, and from that point on, ya couldn't get in as it was to crowded. :( I also had a collection of Chas Addams cartoons that were also destroyed. :cry:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Getting back to the subject of tools, TM 9-801 shows tools on Page 23. Some claim that they can ID the brands of the tools from the photo, I was not able to, but the photo has the File No. RA PD 332972, perhaps this is in the files turned over to MVPA by TACOM. If this is so, perhaps it vould be benificial to become a member of the MVPA in order to support cataloging of those files. RA was the Raritan Arsenal, it closed in the mid 60s. It was responsible for the photos in the TM9s and TM10s from the 20s thru 60s. Researching the tools is nice if one does not have vehicles to concentrate on. I have given several background hints on the origin of the too topic, perhaps someone with patience and logic could trace them thru archives. The average collectors want tools but the information as it exists has not been researched thru Army sources. The manuals are fine, but the Gov't files would be the last word. Note that GMC assigned GM Numbers toall the hand tools issued with the CCKW. There will be drawings to back this up. The Army classified Wrenches with a 41W Stock Numbers, Screwdrivers with a 41P, and Pullers with a 41P. The specifications and contracts were awarded to manufacturers who met specs for these tools. some tools were provided by the vehicle manufacturers, there are wheel bearing wrenches with GMC part numbers and some with 41W Stock Numbers, same for the Spark Plug wrenches.

I have a shelf full of MB/GPW wheel bearing wrenches, some are 41W marked, some have Willys "A" numbers, some have Ford "GP" numbers. There was a Willys drawing for the 41W-1076 Irwin Screwdriver, and it showed the updates to the markings used. Some were Post World War Two if stamped 41W-1076 on the shank. I had over 200 NOS Irwins that I sold, traded or gave as gifts over the past 25 years. They were issued thru the 60s with 2nd echelon tool sets.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Don't throw out those tools that have the ORD Stock No. on them as they are authentic.
It is hard to fathom that tools were kept kosher in the original bag. any GI that has had to help inventory tool sets will remember that everything is dumped onto a table or floor piled into neat stacks of like items to facilitate the inventory.
It was normal for Vehicle Tool sets to stay in the Supply Room when the vehicles are not on maneuvers.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Ranger,

Do you happen to recall whether any of the WW2 surplus vehicles bought by your family business had the tool sets still in them. I imagine the disposal system regarded tools as separate items to dispose of.

The best place to research the tool brands would be the GM archives as I imagine that while the government dictated the specs, the choice of maker was left to the vehicle supplier. Unfortunately, the GM archives are apparently hard to access. The National Archives would probably have some interesting files also if one had time to research them. I understand Bryce Sunderland found a lot of helpful "stuff" in NARA.

The rare original DUKW packing slip on Ebay at the moment also lists the tools by GM part number.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Ranger,

Do you happen to recall whether any of the WW2 surplus vehicles bought by your family business had the tool sets still in them. I imagine the disposal system regarded tools as separate items to dispose of.

The best place to research the tool brands would be the GM archives as I imagine that while the government dictated the specs, the choice of maker was left to the vehicle supplier. Unfortunately, the GM archives are apparently hard to access. The National Archives would probably have some interesting files also if one had time to research them. I understand Bryce Sunderland found a lot of helpful "stuff" in NARA.

The rare original DUKW packing slip on Ebay at the moment also lists the tools by GM part number.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I remember seeing an occasional vehicle with tools, but it may have been an oversight. We used to accumulate tools included with miscellaneous parts that were surplussed from the various military bases. We used to sort them and put them into cubby holes in the storage buildings. We had a lot of Jack Handles, Budd wrenches, Hand Cranks, Tire Pumps, Oil Cans, etc up thru the mid 70s. The new members of the MVCC/MVPA soon started soaking up these parts from old dealers that had no idea that they were increasing in value. Most of the hand tools dribbled out over the years to occasional buyers that wanted cheap tools. The WWII wrenches were not as well finished as the Proto, Herbrand, SK, Snap-On tools that professionals used, and they sold cheap. I used to hate using the Gov't Issue open end wrenches. It was nearly impossible for example to to remove the nuts necessary to disconnect the rear propellar shaft on an M-38 Jeep with those crude WWII tools. I was changing the Parking Brake Drum on the M-38 assigned to Capt Nowicki, he was my CO, B Company 86th Engineers, I was standing in a pit under the Jeep and having a hard time, I dropped my wrench one time too many, and muttered that Capt Nowicki could stick the Jeep up his ass. I looked up and he was bent over peeking at me to see how his Jeep was doing. Never said a word to me as it was obvious that it was a difficult job. He was a fine leader. In the 60s, many of the Army bases were primarily using WWII facilities, our motor pool had wooden shops, the bays had two wood doors that swung outward, there were no hydraulic lifts, our shops had pits that enabled us to stand under our vehicles and work. One could eat off the floors.
I use Snap-On wrenches on my CCKW, they fit better.
If I get a chance, I am going to visit a family whose Dad bought a NOS CCKW from Boston Navy Base at the same time we bought ours, it is possible that they may have the kept the tools and Snatch Block. The truck burned up when the barn it was in was hit by lightning 20 years ago.
I was given the splash guards and braces from the Wood Cargo body that was stored out side
I used to go thru the compartments of the surplus WWII trucks, and all that was usually found were an occasional spark plug, trip tickets, LOs, accident reports, and pencils.

Don't forget to add a GI Tow Chain to your CCKW tool list. They are heavy and use 5/8" links wilt metal Rings as well as hooks. The current ones are the same as WWII. They weigh at least 60 pounds. I have one with my CCKW accessories, along with the snatch block that was with our new CCKW . The GI tow chains sell on the surplus market for around $75.00+ when they can be found.