RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW SUNDAY MORNING

Post by RANGER »

Took my 66 year old SWB CCKW to breakfast this AM

Breakfast-------------------------------------------$3.84+ 2.16 Tip
CCKW 14 Miles@ 7MPG @ $2.99/Gal------------$5.98

Twas worth it tho. It made my morning, as I enjoy driving it, and gave it a 5 Gallon 87 Octane drink on the way :)
No Oil Spots in the restaurant parking lot either. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi RANGER:

Just outa curiosity, what kinda plates are ya running on your CCKW? Here in Illinoisssss, we have Antique plates, but that limits you to WHEN you can operate that vehicle. Breakfasts are NOT included as to when. Of course, IF a copper stops ya & wants to hassel you, you can lie & say your gettin it fixed. :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Antique Vanity Plates and conventional vanity plates for the past 35 years, four of them say "GI -JOE". There is a fifth "GI-JOE" plate and it is proudly displayed on my personal GMC pickup. I have never had a problem with MV or State Farm, my agent eats at the same restaurants and proudly waves at me during parades. His son is a Naval Academy graduate and "Plank Owner" of the Nuclear Submarine "SSN MAINE".
Sunday drives fall within the rules, as well as test hops, and trips to the gas station. They are also used for presentations to local High School history students with a mounted .50BMG. Try taking an APC and MB Jeep to school with amounted Machine Gun, I do. It ain't like it they get used as equipment haulers with trailers used to transport other trucks, go after loads of lumber, or retrieve junk trucks from the brush. I have 7 registered and precisely restored antique military vehicles, insured year round and some not even leaving the stable. All are handled as if they were a piece of fine furniture and are not exposed to precipitation nor do they get their tires dirty. All states assume antique vehicles that are issued historic plates,are restored to safefactory specs and trust that the vehicles are safe and flawless. Running with faulty brakes and having a can of brake fluid under the seat is not in that definition.
How many collectors do you know that have vehicles in that condition?

No need to look over my shoulder, or stretch the truth, as my fleet has a tough Motor Sergeant.
It is the one of the few "turnkey" MV collections maintained strictly according to the TM and in original factory operating condition. They average 500-700 miles per year for the entire collection. It is fun to just jump in and go without ever having to tinker. All get Daily PM before they leave, just like the Army taught me. It gives me a taste of the old US Army which was so good to me.
Glad you asked. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Having a mini MV Show, gonna surprise a young boy at a local birthday party, CCKW or MB will make a guest appearance and Uncle Sam will gain some potential recruits.

The .50 on the MB never fails to please.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Went to one of the most exciting birthday parties ever today. Parents and children alike dressed in GI garb, with camo grease paint on their faces. The boys dad is a Ranger and a State Trooper. They requested my presence with an MV, I showed up with two. It is amazing how fast young children familiarize themselves with a .50 M2. The boy is a chip off the old block and just crazy about anything US Army. He has all the ingredients of what it takes to "be all you can be"
"Been there," "done that" myself three score and one year ago.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKW SUNDAY MORNING

Post by RANGER »

The good 'ol Sunday Mornings will soon return, Spring is coming
Won't be long before the streets of old Dow Field will again feel the foot steps of the familiar CCKW and the parking lot next to Hanger #1 will generate visions of parked B-17s, P-51s P-80s, P-84s of the mid 40s.
I found some photos in a KUKU FAN P-80 Book showing the 56th Fighter Group commanded by Col David Schilling parked on the apron with their F-80s on the way to Germany in a Fox Able flight. Parked in the background were the F-84Bs of the 14th Fighter Group commanded by Col Arvid Olsen. Two of the Squatdn Commanders of the 14th at that time were, Lt Col Wm. Samways, Major George Laven.
The Supply Sgt was Sgt Joe Strang, and Milton Andrews our Saab Mechanic of the late 50s was an F-84 Crewchief. Our business was just down the road. 60 years comes back instantly and vividly. Pictured in the photo is the Marmon Harrington 5 Ton 4X2 Tractor with fuel trailer, with the torn cab cover that hung down into the passenger side.
Can't wait for spring to come. :thumbup:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What is neat about the old Dow Field is that some of the aircraft types that served during the CCKW era at Dow, are still active at the base, KC-135, C-130, and B-52 Aircraft still land there, long after the base was turned over to the Air National Guard and the City. The Base has changed tho, as nearly all WWII structures have been demolished.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

June 2009 has been the rainiest in years, no CCKW trips to Dow Field Hanger 1 to relive history, but sunshine is around the corner. All PM has been done, and the CCKW is tweaked to the max. What is great is the Die Cast Carburetor that allows instant starting even after setting 3 or 4 weeks. I almost made it out yesterday in order to give the CCKW some exercise, but there was a sudden downpour. It did make it to the other side of the base a week ago to participate with the street rods at Nicky's Crusin' Diner Classic Car Night. Restored CCKWs fit right in with the antique car crowd.I enjoyed listening to old timers remind me of the Army and buying cars and Jeeps from my family business in the 40s and 50s.
Lot of remarks about the neat cab interior with the wooden steering wheel.
My goal is to take a different MV to the event each week, there is more to RANGER'S MOTORPOOL than a restored CCKW, the MB, M-38A1, MBT M-37 and Ben Hur are all turnkey and will make the event . Too bad my M-114 is gone, I had it registered and on the road a few times, the Militarized Chevrolet 283 would have been a hit with the Street Rodders.
Thundercat97
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Thundercat97 »

Couldn't help myself..... loaded my CCKW with all the spare parts and tools from my home in NJ and decided to finally take it for a real good shake down cruise this past Sunday morning. I did this after going over my truck - lubing it and checking the air pressure, etc. It was raining, ugly and I decided to just hit the road. Well, after about 80 miles I was finally at my other home in PA and all was ok. The truck ran good - no leaks or temperature issues. Went up and down some real good hills and no issues. Thanks to Joel G and Frank V with all the words of wisdom and parts I needed to make it a real pleasure to drive once again. Now it is time to unload and inventory all my spare parts and tools. :D
41 WLA Project Bike
42 CCKW 353
42 57mm Anti-Tank Gun
43 WC51
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

CCKW Sunday mornings are great, my CCKW still runs as advertised by GM when they sold it to the US Army in May 1941.
There is nothing like going out to the RANGER MOTORPOOL, performing a bit of daily PM and jumping into a WWII CCKW in its original WWII operating condition, no mods, no civvy engines, big tires, or anything else, just a pure and simple WWII truck with all its original bells and whistles that allow the operator to experience what our lean and mean WWII veterans felt 65 years ago.
It is fall now, and the Hot Water Heater kit comes in handy these 40 Degree days. Dow Field sure looks friendly just as it always has been since my first trip thru its Main Gate 6+ decades ago. Hanger 1, home to hundreds of WWII and early jet fighters is still a great place to park nearby to watch the transcient Military traffic. I am pleased with my CCKW 352 and have only praise for our old WWII veteran employees along with the US Army who taught me all there was to know about servicing 40s-60s military trucks. It is one thing to talk about them, but it is another thing to be able to make one run the way they were intended. Took it to the Car wash this AM used the controlable speed windshield wipers to clear the windshield to drive it back outdoors. The closed cab still smells "as new" two years after installing it, thanks to Jim Gilmore's (MIL SPEC RESTORATIONS) installing the NOS firewall padding, headliner and Weebie for the excellent OD Vinyl covers on the NOS seats. The Linseed Oil on the wooden steering wheel along with the new internal trim gives it a showrom feeling. For giving me so much fun, I reward it with 15 gallons of Hi Test every so often.
There is nothing like a CCKW with smiling guages and a clean windshield to greet this old veteran, it is a wonderful experience.

I owe a lot of my CCKW success story to my friend Joel Gopan who was Honor Graduate at Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic School and broke all previous academic records. Joel still makes house calls to friends fire stations and museums all over to give a little tweak here and there to retired army trucks.
Maine is a MV great state with proud owners.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Had my CCKW since 1983 and still get a tingle up my leg :wink: every time I see it.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My 41 CCKW SWB still runs flawlessly, I brought it back from the Danish Army in 1983. The Closed Cab has been on it 6 years now.
Can't wait for Spring when I can take the CCKW for spins to Hangar #1, Old Dow Field and daydream of WWII aircraft parked next to it. I recently had a B-25 ride from the ramp by Hangar#1. There's nothing like a noisy B-25 flight accompanied by a P-40, P-51, and F4U-1. :thumbup: I waited 52 years for the B-25 flight, was supposed to go up in the one assigned to Base Flight at Dow in 1960, but it got turned in the week I was going to be there. I always wanted a ride in a B-25 just to hear the R-2600's from the inside, the B-25 in military configuration has to be one of the noisiest military bombers to fly in. Hearing protection is a must.

Having several "turnkey" MV's, all restored between 30 and 42 years ago sure beats listing to the bitching of "Fruit of the Loom" whom I predict will never get any of his projects done-ever.