CCKW Tip

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Tip

Post by RANGER »

If you are experiencing a sticky accelerator linkage that causes your engine to stay at full throttle during shifts, it is usually traceable to the bellcrank located behind the exhaust pipe on the side of the block. A few drops of motor oil a couple times a year will cure the problem. Mine was doing this a few years ago, and a few drops of oil on the stud that the bell crank pivots on cured it. Recently, I installed a NOS Engine with new linkage and used grease on the pivot, it should be OK for a few years.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Remember to pump your brake pedal after shut down to rid the Hydrovac of any residual vacuum. If the Relay Rod Seal is suffering from age or wear, it will cause the brake fluid to be drawn into the hydrovac and stay there. It will hold nearly two gallons of fluid. If you are experiencing your Master Cylinder draining dry overnight, this is most likely the culprit.
Contrary to what others may say, the Vacuum Check Valve located at the intake manifold will not cause brakefluid to be drawn into the engine. When that valve goes bad, which is rare, it ceases to retain vacuum in the line. It does not block the flow of brake fluid. This is an old wives tale that gets circulated by non mechanics.
It is too bad that Cyril Morrison has passed on, as he was involved with development testing of hydrovacs and aircraft disk brakes at Bendix in the early thirties. He was a Motor Sergeant in the Pacific during WWII and used to instruct his CCKW and Half Track drivers to pump the brake pedal after engine shut down in order to prevent this problem. He ran a local brake repair business well into his eighties, I knew him from approx 1952 untill his death in 2000.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Follow the TM for your CCKW and it will take you to every parade or event and back. Guaranteed. I have yet to be towed home in any of my several restored MVs (45 years), the TM is the secret, there are no mods or better ideas, as the vehicles were already designed for extreme use.