WILL IT EVER COME TO THIS?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

WILL IT EVER COME TO THIS?

Post by RANGER »

"My VEP 3 May 41 Detroit, Plant 69 CCKW 352 B1 SN# 36443 is missing a cotterpin on the PTO Pivot Pin. Does the cotter pin go up thru or down thru? Is it plated and if so, is it zinc, parkerized or cadmium?"
"It is imperitive as I am driving the grandson of General Halftrack and my VEP 3 May 41 Detroit, Plant 69 CCKW 352 B1 SN# 36443 just has to be perfect."

"I worked very hard doing a ground up restoration, went the extra mile to exactly duplicate OD 319 with the most accurate color possible. Testors WWII OD model Airplane paint was the best match. The downside is that I burned out 3 Electrolux Vacuum Cleaners as it took 1002 1 Oz. bottles to do the job using the spray paint adaptor." :lol:

If you surf the WWII Jeep sites, you will be able to witness the latest trends.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

We may well laugh at the jeep owner's obsessive arguments about the minutiae of jeep parts but at least they are interested enough to care - compare that to the CCKW and Chev owners.

Only a handful of owners particpate in this and the other forums and P. Farber's new GMC pages haven't exactly taken off.

What is it about jeeps that stirs up so much (crazy?) interest compared to us??

To answer Ranger's question, it goes down through the hole and Joe Dope could tell you the pins were still zinc-plated in that early production phase. :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The problem is that a few of the experts that hang together are stretching facts a bit.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Couldn't you just take a sample to your paint man and have him mix a gallon of what you wanted? The one guy here can do a pretty good job. All the way from Color to Gloss. He even match a sun faded color for my every day driver.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

there are those out there with OCD obsesive compulsive disorders just just get too deep into the project and loose sight of the bigger picture. They have alway been around and nothing going to make them go away .
Next one you read about could be complaining about how many makeup brushes he used to paint X with.
1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: WILL IT EVER COME TO THIS?

Post by RANGER »

Beware, they are now amongst us" Model Airplane paint looks good from 50', so does the Krylon spray can OD.