BLUE DRAB?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There are some topics that are best discussed by trained experts. Paint is at the top of the list. It is not hard to do consistant batches. All paint plants have a well equipped testing laboratory. When I spray 24087, I use a #4 Ford Cup to check for proper viscosity. I used to sell GI Issue OD Paint direct from the gov't contractor before the repro paint was available. I stocked it in 1 Gallon and 5 Gallon pails. There are some serious paint experts and dealers out there providing a quality product for serious collectors, but the peanut gallery always turns the topic into a dog and pony show. Not all collectors are equipped to paint their own vehicles, not all are skilled at preping the vehicle and painting, some will claim that they can thin out a gallon sufficiently to paint an entire truck, I think I used 7 gallons. And there is always that person that will use spray cans and complain that it did not come out right.
How ever it is done, there is always pride in doing it yourself.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Did I mention that I have furnished Original Cans of WWII Blue Drab and Lusterless OD to the experts that are developing the authentic product for the discriminating collector?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The paint Pundits are still beating on each other "ad nauseum", amazing what owning an army jeep or two does to a person. :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

They are still going at it this AM. Paint has turned into a colorless topic, this is what happens when history revisionists attempt to be experts. Tempers are flaring, vulgarities are being hurled across continents at fellow members :roll: and it does not look like it is about to let up. Gotta tell ya, a fat lip is in order.
Reminds me of those days of yesteryear when the neighborhood gang would hike to the Olympia Theater (aka the "rathole") on a Saturday afternoon to see the latest Roy Rogers flick while arguing over the best name for the imaginary horse we were riding to the show. Funny, we did not swear back then.

CCKW owners are a kinder gentler fraternity, no big deal, there is enough paint to go around. The battle does make good copy over my morning cup of mud. :wink:, and lends credence to the old saying "too many cooks spoil the broth".
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Wow - just reading the G503 posts on paint - seems the postal authorities are right in classifying paint as a hazardous material - even talking about the colour of it starts arguments! :)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What would take the air out of it would be pics of the paint jobs on the MB/GPWs owned by those making all the noise.
I doubt that many of them are capable of a professional finish applied using professional tools. There is a difference when paint is applied using spray cans, Wagner Electric sprayers, Electrolux vacuum cleaner adaptors or by professional DeVilbiss or Binks Spray equipment as shown in the TMs.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Looks like they ran out of BS, and they were not very good at that either.

Damn glad we won WWII before they were born.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is smoldering again today, one way to shut up critics is to request a photo of their handywork. There are photos of a world class DUKW,GPA and Weasel that the Paint Pundits are knocking. I remember one of the critics posting about his paint job complete with dog tracks on that site a couple of years ago. It was mentioned that GI paint jobs were not all that great.
This is what happens when everyone who has their first Jeep wants to be an instant expert, too many jeeps too few experts and all the name calling from the shelter of their own home.
Stick to the MVPA publications and experts, it is much quieter and authentic.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

My paint is whatever came out of the can from AJP. Thinned to whatever would get me the best spray pattern that day. I figure that sojers in the field or at the 'little detroits' did the same thing.

I know that there are so many mixing and application/preperation variables that I laugh LONG AND HARD at ANYONE who says they have the 'correct color' anything.

As for your viscosity cup, yeah.. I used them. How accurate is counting in your head or mashing a stopwatch? Mixed ink for a lot of years in the printing industry (Tension Envelope) and you can tell the change in color when you simply went from a different weight of paper.

Plus its a KNOWN FACT that there are no where near the amount of solids in the the two part repro paint as the original.

Although you can get a similar appearance if you hold the paint gun farther back and let the paint dry in air before it hits the wet base.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

HINDSIGHT:

The Blue Drab topic from another site really did not deserve any comment.
It is not worth the bandwidth it has taken, here or on the other website.
The research and hard work invested into developing superior MV paint products speaks for itself, there are some who will never appreciate good products, and those who do will be the winners.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: BLUE DRAB?

Post by RANGER »

Anyone else but me using TM9 Blue Drab on their CCKW?