TRUCK, BOMB SERVICE, M-6 TIDBITS

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: TRUCK, BOMB SERVICE, M-6 TIDBITS

Post by Robbo »

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Dolly most likely is listed in an AF T.O. and is probably made by Weaver. They seemed to sprout up with B-29 units.
The M-27B1 is a beautiful example of what is possible when one has an intact truck to spruce up. The M-27 is a complicated example of one of the many CCKW variations..
I doubt that many were returned to the US after Korea as the size was prohibitive and they were very obsolete. The M-108 2-1/2 Ton 6X6 Crane truck by Studebaker/Reo was rapidly phased in starting in 1952 to replace the M-27.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

At Dow Field during the Korean war, the 132nd Fighter-Bomber Wing of the Iowa-Nebraska Air National Guard had the M-27 bomb service. These could be seen often coming and going from the Hammond St Main Gate to the off-site Ammo Dump on the Odlin road. They passed within 50' of our business during these trips. The F-51D equipped 132nd returned to their home state in late 1952, the 506th Stragic Fighter Wing with F-84G Thunderjet replaced the 132nd, and the brand new M-108 trucks with hydraulic crane started appearing.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Johne504
Private
My garage: 45 Dukw restored
41 Cckw 352
41 cckw353
43 Cckw 353
42 m6 bomb truck
43 m6 bomb truck
Mark 5 bomb trailer

Post by Johne504 »

Any weaver bomb lift trucks out there ? I have a m6 bomb truck and could use a bomb lift truck for it. Still looking for the Beebe winch too.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have two new M-1 Bomblifts, not for sale.
Johne504
Private
41 Cckw 352
41 cckw353
43 Cckw 353
42 m6 bomb truck
43 m6 bomb truck
Mark 5 bomb trailer

Post by Johne504 »

It's wierd how this hobby of mine over the years has come along. I started with a closed cab cckw 15 years ago. I since have aquired about 12 vehicles over the years, a few I sold, but most I kept. One day I was digging through a farmers bone pile and ran across a M6 boom with hand winch and a funny looking pallet jack.. I grabbed it and brought it home, had no idea what it went to but I knew it was ww2 military.... Anyway, to make a long story short, I traded the boom to a freind, and sold the bomb lift cart to Robert Perry in Antwerp Belguim... this was 12-13 years ago. Then, a year or so ago I ran across a bomb truck locally and purchased it. It was missing the boom and bomb lift. Crap, why did I sell the lift!!! Anyway, How would I know that I would have a bomb truck?? I was able to get the boom and winch back, and bought a bomb lift off ebay. The day the lift arrived I found another about 200 miles away for 100$ that was totally complete, so I sold the one I bought off ebay to a collector in California..... My M6 was complete now.. It looks great!!!, but.......then I bought another bomb truck off ebay in Montana. It was missing the boom, and the lift, among other parts.... I have since found the boom, still looking for the winch, and short a bomb lift truck. If I had only been able to know my future with the bomb truck. I have had the pleasure of owning three bomb lift trucks over the years, but only have one now and have two trucks. So, the search is on again for bomb truck parts. My second bomb truck is pretty complete. Very original, rust free with three colors of paint, olive drab, strata blue, and top coat is yellow. I think I may paint her strata blue.. my first truck is olive drab..I'm kicking myself for selling one of the two bomb lift trucks, but thats just the way it worked out. I also found a very nice M5 bomb trailer in a old barn 30 miles from my house.... I really like these trucks as they have plenty of power, easy to drive, and turn very sharp. I use it all the time around the house to lift parts, and drive it all the time in the summer.....I know eventually I will come across the parts I need, just have to keep looking. If you have any leads on chevy M6 bomb truck parts, please let me know. I need the diamond plate for the passenger side fender, the bracket for the hoist from that bolts to the front leg and to the wood bed, and a hand winch.... and of course the Weaver M-1 bomb lift truck.... then she will be complete....I now have 8 turn key ww2 military vehicles, all gmc and chevy, but my favorite is the DUKW, and second is the M6 bomb truck....
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Hello & Welcome Johne504... (John?)

Thanks for joining us here. You have some great stories to tell. We already know from your posts that you are 6' 2" and weigh 170 lbs and don't have a belly, but we don't know your location. I'm going to guess USA?
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Johne504
Private
41 Cckw 352
41 cckw353
43 Cckw 353
42 m6 bomb truck
43 m6 bomb truck
Mark 5 bomb trailer

Post by Johne504 »

Yes. John is right. I live in Washington state. USA. I now have two m6's. One m5. Two m1's. And a mark 3 torpedo trailer. Need two gas tanks for the m6's. Front and rear. I do have a extra bebee winch if someone needs one. No handle. Engelkeelectric@hotmail.com
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

I have a M6 also haven't picked it up yet. Next Sunday but appears complete both tanks, both front seats, rear seat, drivers and behind the seat toolboxes, also a M5 bomb trailer and a Mark II bomb trailer.
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller