How many different fold down windshields?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: How many different fold down windshields?

Post by RANGER »

Speaking of Doors, there is a genuine European Issue CCKW Open Cab Drivers Door on eBay at a very reasonable price. It is a t $20.00, Ebay # 290321631707. Good useable canvas doors are hard to come by. NOS GM original issue are bringing as much as $250.00 per side.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Most canvas shops want $200+ to reskin a door.

If you can buy them in good shape, do so.

The plastic used for windows can get brittle, craze and crack... also the canvas material can get very dry and brittle if not conditioned. I got a pair of doors for like $50 and the canvas is so dry just looking at them tears the fabric. But the metal is all there and in good shape.

They may look pretty... but unless you can get your hands on them and look I would be wary.

An honest parts vendor will take an item back without question if it is not up to par. Junk dealers that say 'no returns' are doing just that... dealing in junk.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Duplicating the original workmanship when reconditioning the original CCKW doors will easily exceed $300.00 per door, less shipping fees. The work is labor intensive due to the hardware involved. Not all canvas dealers are willing to take on the work.
The CCKW doors recovered by New Life Resource were indistinguishable from original in quality and workmanship.

I have one set of of NOS originals and one set of NOS CCKW doors recovered by New Life, it is imposssible to tell the difference because of the quality of the material and the experience of the shop.
I have approx $400.00 each invested in the recovered doors and am very satisfied.
In the meantime I installed a 1574 Closed Cab restored by Mil Spec on my 1941 CCKW SWB and sold the Open Cab to a deserving CCKW collector.
The doors are stored away awaiting another CCKW for my motorpool.

With friends like Judith at New Life, Mike Sinkovic- The King of Canvas, and Russ Jones who shared the cost of finding and restoring CCKW Open Cab Canvas Doors, CCKW restoration is made easy.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it