HOW PROFESSIONALS INSTALL/REMOVE CLOSED CABS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

HOW PROFESSIONALS INSTALL/REMOVE CLOSED CABS

Post by RANGER »

We leave the doors ajar and use a nylon load sling, which does no damage nor leaves no marks.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: HOW PROFESSIONALS INSTALL/REMOVE CLOSED CABS

Post by Dr Deuce »

Thanks. A good way to do it. Hope the backhoe lifts high enough...

I have to remove the cab (pretty nice one) from my 1/2 CCKW. I will be removing the eingine and tranny too along with the front axle. Then I will junk the rest of the frame.

Does Ranges still need the rear cab crossmember?
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Don't forget, there is a 1/2" X 6" long bolt that goes thru the wooden sill inside the rear of the cab at the center, and attaches to a bracket on the chassis crossmember. If not removed, the bottom of the cab will stay with the chassis. Save the cab mounting bolts theit spacers and insulators as there are no NOS to be found.

Thanks anyways, the crossmember is no longer needed, as the cab was installed in Oct 07. I acually ended up with two spare crossmembers somehow.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

Yes I know about that one. Usually the bolt is frozen to the spacer and has to be cut and the spacer reworked/replaced later.

Does this system damage the gutters on the cab?

Do you want the crossmember?
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In addition to using a nylon load sling, I used a piece of 5/4 X 6 deck plank that stuck our an inch or so beyond the edge of the cab. I put cleats on the part that was inside to keep it from sliding. It will balance at the front most position. The sling should not damage the gutters even without the board, but you have to have both ends in the lifting hook. The floor pan must be out to give room for the steering column. Make sure the steering column clamp us removed, and the hold down bolts are undone. I always remove the Steering Wheel, it makes it easier if there are just two persons involved.
With the doors off and seat cushions out, four rugged guys can lift it off a Closed Cab and slide it sideways, but that involves removing shifting cover , and moving transfer levers along with parking brake handle.

It was a 5 minute job with the boom truck and lifting sling to take off the cab, and a bit longer to install one back on, a back hoe will be more awkward. Avoid using a chain.
I do not need a crossmember now.