All other trucks not mentioned above.
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Need Dimesions for a WWII Water Trailer

Post by 36th Tom »

I am looking for dimensions for the WWII "Ben Hur" water trailer, specifically the tank and the spicot covers.

Thanks for any help.

Tom
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Need Dimesions for a WWII Water Trailer

Post by Robbo »

From the TM 9-2800:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

Thanks, Robbo!

My goal is a 4/5 scale version of the trailer (using jeep wheels) for use in my mess setup. The 4/5 scale version will only carry about half the water (and weigh half as much), but is a much safer tow for a small p/u. It will also look more authentic than a big white plastic tank on a yard trailer.

Thanks again
36th Tom
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

hey Tom,

do a search on line for poly water tanks. They make all kinds of shapes and sizes, and I am sure you can get one that has the oval shape of an origianl. Painted OD, not many would notice.

somthing like this one on ebay. I know its round, but there are others out there that have the more oval shape:

http://cgi.ebay.com/125-gallon-poly-pla ... 7C294%3A50

Another option to the separate trailer would be getting, again, a small poly tank and mounting it up and under the kitchen trailer you bought, up and out of the way.
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

Thanks Dave!

I have been looking at that option. Another idea was to find a square plastic tank and make a plywood and fiberglass shell to surround it that is in the origanal oval shape. I can do that first, and later have a Fab shop make me an aluminum one the right size. I already priced one in stainless, and for that $$$ I can buy an origanal!

I was inspired by Spooky Dad's truck, and it is amazing what you can do with painted plywood.

Another reason for the smaller size is the "Baby Buffalo" can be pulled by a jeep so "Water runs" can be made at Public events without having to get a Chevy or a Duece going (which are usually burried in a display), or having to explain to the security at the gate why I need to take my Civilian truck out of the parking lot into the show during peak hours.

Tom