CCKW headlights

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW headlights

Post by RANGER »

Adjusting (aiming) them can be easy, all it takes is a level surface with the room to mark off the positioning points of the CCKW and a flat vertical surface to project your sealed beams on. I have used my barn with a concrete floor, but here are other places tyhat can be used at night. My local grocery store parking lot and the brick walls of the store have come in handy. Make sure you have the managers permission and use masking tape that will not leave marks on the walls. :wink:
There is nothing better than to be able to see what is in front of you at night and with well aimed headlamps.
This is not one of the duties in Available Jones' job description. :wink:

NOTE:
It works best on sealed beams and even better if they are a matched set of the same brand. The light pattern does vary slightly from brand to brand.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The correct headlamp bulb for the CCKW is the metal backed Guide with the dull lens.
Your CCKW will say "thank you".
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The CCKW trucks left the GM factory with all sealed Beams and lamps manufactured by Guide Lamp, a GM subsidiary.
Nothing looks better than a pair of NOS original Guide Sealed Beans with their signature subdued dull appearance due to the alternative reflective coating used because of wartime shortages. They are still found thru knowledgeable collectors who invest a lot of time and bother to have unique items for their steady customers.
Many of the new generation of WWII vehicle collectors are unaware of the details of the WWII Sealed Beams, the older collectors have been grabbing them up for years.

Those who believe that they have "a better idea" with their 12 volt mod to their trucks may welcome the fact that these WWII sealed beams were also available in 12 Volt for some of the larger 6X6/4X4 trucks.

Some will argue that modern bulbs are much safer, that may be true to some extent, but those discriminating collectors who enjoy a "correct" CCKW will not mind as their CCKW is not a "speed demon" and they do not operate so fast as to cause their headlight beams will be overdriven.

I noticed that someone from Poland is looking for these bulbs, they are out there. Perhaps he could join this site and share a bit of Polish CCKW history. I may be able to help him obtain NOS WWII Guide sealed beams.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I wish I were set up to post pics as I have some different WWII headlamp sealed beams, and NOS hardware that could be shown, the part number for those that were factory installes is GM-925000 for the metal backed bulb.
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

RANGER wrote:I wish I were set up to post pics as I have some different WWII headlamp sealed beams, and NOS hardware that could be shown,
The picture guide
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Thank You,
I will take some pictures and try it. It may be a few days as my wife has the camera during the week days. I would enjoy backing up topics with pics.