Very rare US6 Studebaker

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Very rare US6 Studebaker

Post by RANGER »

There is a US6 SIDE DUMP in my area that has been owned and stored inside for years. Studebaker also had a REAR DUMP. Both were on the SWB Chassis.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

pics

Post by 68427vette »

do you have any pics>> send to jefferychester@yahoo.com
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

No, the owner parks it inside, except for the time it is seen going for its semiannual load of grain for his animals. The truck is mint.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945

Ranger Gmc vs Studebaker

Post by Guest »

Ranger
You know alot about these old army trucks and I like both the gmc and studebaker but I know very little about studebaker. I am curious about the differences between the two trucks, could yeu tell me about each trucks strength and weakness,its differences mechanically.Which truck do you feel was the better truck. I hope I have not asked to much of you but I just love these old trucks .I am sixteen years old and love military history.
thanks Jason
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

They both have their plusses, . Studebaker has a stronger chassis and the slightly heavier duty Hercules JXD Engine. Both trucks Powertrains are similar, the Studerbaker has the Timken Axles, Transfer Case, pillow block, and brake parts as the Timken, (split axle) CCKW. They share the same model Clark transmission but with different input shafts. Studebakers' Timken Axle components are not completely interchangeable wirh those of the CCKW Timken components. Studebaker used the Power brake system similar to the first 41,000 CCKWs. No Hydrovac, but a Vacuum Cylinder that operated some rods that helped apply the brake pedal. The US Army used some Stufebaker/Reo 6X6 trucks, but most were exported as foreign aid. After WWII the Studebakers disappeared from the US Military, but CCKWs were very active until 53 or 54 when most were replaced by the M-Series Trucks. Some CCKWs were active in the Army, Navy and USAF until 61 or 62.
This is all for tonite.

NOTE:
I recommend you buy a copy of US Military Wheeled Vehicles by Fred Crismon. It gives many pics of the different catagory cars and trucks used by US Army from WWI thru the late eighties. Plenty of photos and WWII 4X4, 6X6 history, it has good information on the CCKW and US6.
Remember one thing, the photos are something you may drool over, but time has not stood still or been kind to the old trucks. Some have just plain vanished along with the giant stockpiles of parts.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER:

THANKS for the info. Maybe you should write a book too, with your vast knowledge. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"