BEN HUR TRAILER

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

BEN HUR TRAILER

Post by RANGER »

Saw a question on the net on the originof the name "Ben Hur" used on the G-518 1 Ton Cargo Trailer.
"Ben Hur" has been used generically to identify all of the 25 different brand names of the G-518 series. "Ben Hur" was the name of one of the manufactuers, they were located in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Kind of a catchy name to use. "Ben Hur" was the midevil character famous for driving two chariots at once.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: BEN HUR TRAILER

Post by Vista52 »

When I opened this I wasn't sure if it was going to be a promo for some Hollywood epic. But that probably is Ben-Hur Trailer.

In the movie, Charlton Heston was not happy with his part in the filming of the Chariot Race. The Director had to remind him that no matter what, they would make sure he won the race. :)
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

yea but information about the company, is perty sparce,
doesent even show up on the wikipedia.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

What were the years of manufacture to make a 1 ton trailer a "Ben Hur".
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The SNL G-518 series of 1 Ton Cargo trailers from 41-45 are generically called Ben Hur by most. When it all started, I have no idea, you will not find in printed WWII technical reference, they are just called "1 Ton Cargo Trailer".
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Thank you, Ranger.
lenb
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by lenb »

Awhile back, when I first bought my Ben Hur trailer, I did a little research on Ben Hur as a company, and found, as Ranger stated, that they were in Milwaukee, WI. I also found that after WW2 they manufactured food freezers for homes, at least into the 1950's. I actually found a really nice Ben Hur logo emblem from one of the freezers on ebay and bought it (not sure why). It's pretty large, made of plastic with a bright gold chariot as part of the logo. It looks like something off of a glitzy '50's American automobile. Apparently the company went out of business years ago, or was perhaps absorbed in some corporate merger.

Len
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

All of the brands have a mixture of each other in them, the castings for the drawbars, and spring hangers are I believe, Willys and checker Cab origin. There were many sub contractors, Rogers, made some of the axles< Saginaw made the landing dolley. No big deal though, one is lucky to just find a nice trailer.
lenb
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by lenb »

Good point, Ranger. My landing dolley has "Saginaw Stamping and Tool Co." stamped in a circular logo on the outer face. I'm assuming this was an independent company from GM's Saginaw Division.

Len
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Same manufacturer.
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

link to a list of companies who produced Ben Hur's
http://www.jedsite.info/trailers/bravo/ ... eries.html
1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

abn deuce wrote:link to a list of companies who produced Ben Hur's
http://www.jedsite.info/trailers/bravo/ ... eries.html
They are also listed on the SNL G-518 Covers. Many are long gone. There are variations between manufacturers on steel bodies and tailgate, rope tie down types, hinges, reflectors, etc, I doubt that anyone will be able to make a list of the differences.

No big deal tho, just coming up with a clean complete example is difficult enough.
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

Very true after so many years I m sure there are very few which have not been altered in one or many more ways .
1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In civilian use the first thing to go are the wood racks and usually the lunette, many were re-axled with automobile axles to lower them or get rid of the big wheels.