FANTASTIC WWII MILITARY COLLECTION

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

FANTASTIC WWII MILITARY COLLECTION

Post by RANGER »

No one ever mentions the Canadian War Museum, Canadian National Museum or the collection of military aiircraft at Rock Cliff in Ottawa Ontario. Canadian War Museum has WWII Tanks, Schwimmwagon, field Marshal Alexanders WWII Ford Woody Wagon, etc. Other sites have WWII American, Canadian, and Axis aircraft, has anyone seen a He-111 Salamander, a Lysander, or a Lancaster close up? Plan a trip to Ottawa. I was there in 1972.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: FANTASTIC WWII MILITARY COLLECTION

Post by DM Carpenter »

Also a gorgeous Swordfish as well. When I was there in the mid-90's, they also displayed some recovered pieces that were slated for future resto.
1943 GPW 93517 "Basketcase"
1945 WC-52
1953 M-38A1 USAF then USMC
1965 D-100
BB-55 USS North Carolina LHC
..._
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

RANGER wrote: has anyone seen a He-111 Salamander, a Lysander, or a Lancaster close up? Plan a trip to Ottawa. I was there in 1972.
Well not exactly what you could call close....but when I was about 16-17 (1968) they had just finished filming "The Battle of Britain" Movie. I happened to be in Folkestone, Kent, on the cliff above the Harbor when all the German and British planes from that Movie came along just above Cliff height. Me 109's, He 111's and Spitfires, about 12 to 15 in all.

A few years later I was walking down a country lane in Cornwall, England, making my way to Newquay, when the Battle of Britain Lancaster took off from RAF St Mawgan and started practicing right over my head. Now that was awesome.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

We had Canadian Lancasters at Dow Field, a single Lancaster at take off sounded like several Mustangs.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Hi Ranger,

Yes, that's what's nice about the airshows today. You get to see and hear the normally high altitude Bombers flying at relatively low levels. In California we see B-17 & B-24. In Hamilton, Canada I think they have a flying Lanc and of course in Uk they have the BBMF Lancaster.

Do you remember the Movie "The War Lover" (Steve McQueen) when Paul Mantz flew "The Body" down that avenue of trees below tree-top level!!!!

It must of been incredible to be at a RAF or USAAF Bomber Stations in WW2 and hear a BG or Squadron take-off.
Last edited by Vista52 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I grew up next to all that noise.
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

RANGER wrote:We had Canadian Lancasters at Dow Field, a single Lancaster at take off sounded like several Mustangs.

At least four... :D
1943 GPW 93517 "Basketcase"
1945 WC-52
1953 M-38A1 USAF then USMC
1965 D-100
BB-55 USS North Carolina LHC
..._
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And some times three Lancasters at the same time. We used to observe Shackletons passing by regularly about 50 miles west of Dow in the 60s at 15-20000 feet.