Can you ID this gas tank?

All other trucks not mentioned above.
rwdfresno
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Can you ID this gas tank?

Post by rwdfresno »

Found this tank in a pile of junk. Tank looks good and has OD on it but not sure what it is from.

GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

A wild guess would be a CCKW that has a ST-5 or ST-6 van body?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Possibly one of the Studebaker or M5H6 Int bodies. Has anyone ever noticed the extra hole located at the Passenger side front of some Steel LWB Cargo bodies. You now have a good clue to pick thru your collection of other WWII 2 1/2 Ton 6x6 manuals.

How is the inside of the Tank? It has great potential. If you are patient you will have a serious customer. The oddball WWII 6X6 fuel tanks are long gone off the shelves, as they have been adapted to many types of civilian trucks over the past 60 years. The dealers did not reserve them for collectors. I found several GTBS tanks that have rust inside and it is no big deal for the serious collector, as the search is over and a trip to the radiator shop will result in repair and seal coating.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
rwdfresno
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by rwdfresno »

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a 6x6 van body as well. It loooks very very close to the tank on our CCW w/ K-60 bed. We have 3 K-56 beds I'll bet it could be adapted.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Drain appears to be on the narrow edge of the tank, that sort of changes any CCKW application. Can you calculate the volume to convert to US Gallons.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
rwdfresno
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by rwdfresno »

Well as it turns out the drain hole for this tank is on the wide bottom side. Not sure what that other hole is.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It still appears very similar to the tank used on the Studebaker LWB US6 Cargo Truck.