TRUCK, BOMB SERVICE, M-6 TIDBITS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

TRUCK, BOMB SERVICE, M-6 TIDBITS

Post by RANGER »

STEERING WHEELS- Two types, Hard Rubber, and Wood some were made by Inland, a Division of General Motors that also made M-1 Carbines. The M-6 used a smaller wheel than the Cargo Version of the G-506 4X4

BOMBLIFT TRUCK, M-1- Hard to find, accessory, it had a hydraulic platform, was on 3 wheels and was used much like a Pallet Jack, made by Weaver Manufacturing Co., Springfield Illinois Weaver also manufactured Front End Alignment Machines. I only know of a couple places that have an M-1

BOMB, DRILL,- There were four different types listed as items issued with the M-6 Truck, the 500 lb. M43, 1000 lb. M44, 2000 lb. M34, 4000 lb. M56 with a lightweight case for ease in handling. These were issued to Aviation Ordnance Units that used the M-6, in order to train with bomb handling techniques. According to Organizational Tables, only so many of these Training Devices were authorized to individual airfields.

The M-6 had many tools issued with it that had to do with the handling and arming of the bombs.

It is amazing how fast the M-6 Bomb Service disappeared from the USAF system after the M-108 Crane mounted on the M-Series 2 1/2 Ton 6X6 appeared on the scene. Most USAF Bases started getting the M-108 in 1953.

CHEVROLET was not the only manufacturer of a Bomb Service Truck, in addition to the GTB, there was a pre war M-1 bomb service truck as a result of a run off between manufacturers to meet the requirements of the M-1 bomb service specification. (Betcha did not know this) I will leave this hanging so that some may do their homework.
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

At one time there were more M-1 Bomblift Trucks than there were Chevrolet M-6 Bomb Service Trucks. It is the other way around, now.
At one time I had 6 of the main Fuel tanks in crates of two, there are two that I know of and are in the hands of a long time dealer, probably still wrapped the way I sent them. He is bound to get rich from them.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The production of the Chevrolet M-6 Bomb Truck ended in February 1944, the CCKW M-27 Bomb Service Truck was in production and was issued for the same purpose to Aviation Ordnance units.
I am sure that there are some that will claim their M-6 is a 45.
Last edited by RANGER on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Near the end of WWII, a modification kit to install a front mounted winch on the Chevrolet M-6 was developed, however it was not ever produced due to the end of WWII.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There was an Airborne version of the M-6 that consisted of a kit with components that included the parts to provide a splice in the chassis and a dolly for the forward portion of the M-6. It was similar to that of the CCKW. This allowed the M-6 to be transported in C-46 and C-47 type aircraft.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Any photos of the M-6 being used during the Korean War period, 1950-1953?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The M-6 appears to have been dropped from USAF inventory around the time of the beginning of the Korean War.
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Haveing talked to an gentalman that handled bombs in WWII the M-6 was just not large enough to handle bombs much larger than 1000lbs. The 2 ton hand winch made by bee bee was slow to lift and a lot of work. Most bombs under 500lbs where man handled with spreader bars (tool box infront of boom). Most of the M-6's where sold off at the beginning of the 1950s. being too small to handle most of the new larger ordnance. Saddly most didnt find jobs after their military carreer. The boom isnt strong enough to use for a tow truck. Bed isnt large enough to haul much. The open cab is more open than a open Cab CCKW.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: TRUCK, BOMB SERVICE, M-6 TIDBITS

Post by RANGER »

Still no M-1 Bomb Lifts?
I hate to be the Lone Ranger.
It would be nice to have a mint M-6 to go with it. Shoulda bought the one on E-Bay eighteen months ago.
Bud Wheel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bud Wheel »

The M6 Bomb service truck on the back cover of this months Army Motors is sporting GMC full louver hood side panels .Shouldn't they be the Chevy partial louver style ? Or were they built that way ?

B
A small collection of period correct HMVs
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Gotta be Chevrolet, I have NOS for one side.
You get good service mine ain't here yet, I get 1st Class too.

You like this site, don't you. Best place in the MV world. :wink:
Bud Wheel
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bud Wheel »

My crystal ball says " yours should arrive tommorrow " :lol:

10-4 on the site :D

B :wink:
A small collection of period correct HMVs
andy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by andy »

Hi Ranger, been awhile, I think You told me that dodge had a pre-war bomb truck. I may be wrong. Thanks Andy
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

If you haven"t already seen them, some nice colour pictures of the M6 at work on:

http://historylink101.com/ww2_color/index.html

Like this one:

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

andy wrote:Hi Ranger, been awhile, I think You told me that dodge had a pre-war bomb truck. I may be wrong. Thanks Andy

Diamond T and Ford produced a Bomb Service based on Civilian Chassis and they were put to limited use. They were listedunder SNL G-85.
I have NOS Air Cleaners for the Ford that used a V-8.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.