WW2 Pictures

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

WW2 Pictures

Post by Robbo »

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
straight six
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: WW2 Pictures

Post by straight six »

Thanks for the heads up Robbo. There are 2 more pictures on there of Weapons Carriers, Picture No 13 and Picture No 23. 13 shows two WC 51's being rafted across a river, and 23 shows a WC 51 or 52 in the background, with what looks like sidescreens fitted.
Keith
1942 Dodge WC 51
1942 Chevy LAAT
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

On the colour picture, note the colour of the tarp rollup strap on this early truck - brown probably vegetable tanned leather. Some NOS straps seem to be white chrome/synthetic tanned leather - maybe they changed to this later in the war as vegetable tannins became short in supply.

Also noteworthy is the position of the fuel can holder and tool rack.
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

The second, colour photo, may be a reenactment photo instead of an original. I can't quite put my finger on it exactly, but it is" too good"

The photo is too sharp and in focus for an amateur "private collection" photo, and it doesn't have a Signal Corps feel to it either.

Primarily, their uniforms are too clean, and there is absolutely no sign of web gear or weapons other than the Musette bag, and it appears too faded for the timeframe. There is also NO GI junk, litter, crap, or assorted trash anywhere.

I also haven't seen many ETO shots of GIs in fatigue hats like the soldier standing in the bed.

The GI in the bed also is holding his cigarette unlike any American would -- He could be a Skorzeni GI !!!!!

The field the Dodge is parked in looks to have been unmolested by any other vehicles and definitely doesn't look as though a war has been through there, or even a rear area which has been occupied.

The soldier on the running board appears to be wearing HBTs, rare in the ETO, and why are the others dressed as if it is cooler?

What's with the camera/bincoluars?

Vehicle is way too clean.

Most WWII color photos are more vibrant, even given the overcast. This looks more like a photoshop fading technique.

I dunno. I like the photo, but I don't know if it was taken in WWII.
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Any sort of fakery is possible with computers and the internet but it seems to be genuine given the rest of the photo's:

http://www.lonesentry.com/photoalbums/luetjen/

Probably taken on a captured German camera with Agfa colour film and the effects of time or poor processing have now faded them.

A lot of the official Navy WW2 colour pictures/slides have faded similarly.
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

Robbo: Well, ain't that a fine how-do-you-do? It appears the 155 towed by the high speed tractor in the field photo in the collection has our very same corporal standing in front of it with his binocular case around his shoulder. My misgivings prove unfounded, and I take it all back.

ps, I wasn't tryiing to be a smartass with my original post....
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
NC_Andy
Private

Post by NC_Andy »

I had to post this pic of my Grandfather in front of his Dodge. He was in the 167th Bomb Disposal Group (separate). He told me the front bumper was painted red, and that when they drove into a town, people would start opening their windows.

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

In case you're wondering....

Post by Gordon_M »

If someone is setting off explosions the concussion breaks all your windows, but if you leave them open the blast doesn't usually affect them
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

Your grandfather didn't have one of the better jobs in the Army, did he? I am sorely tempted to stencil bomb disposal on the front bumper of my Dodge -- that's pretty cool! Great picture!
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Dodge207
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Dodge207 »

Great picture. Notice the elect window defroster in the drivers window. What year was this taken in?
Dan
NC_Andy
Private

Post by NC_Andy »

The picture was taken in 1944-45.