Fire Truck

Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Fire Truck

Post by Vista52 »

I've never posted here so I thought I would post a photo of a truck I found in Idaho. I think it's a Dodge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Fire Truck

Post by Vista52 »

A close-up of the hood # USA 501706
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

1941 model 4 x 2 Chevrolet 1.5 ton

Post by Gordon_M »

Still a nice truck, wonder what happened to the rear wheels / axle?

Worth saving, surely.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Yes Gordon, I would think so also. How often are you going to find a truck like this one with all the lights, siren, hoses and do-dad's. I think it was just missing the wheel.
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

So the next question is: Where in Idaho, so someone can go restore this diamond in the rough?
WC-56
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Gordon,...just seen your subject line. So it's a 41 Chevy and not a Dodge but at least I got it right when I posted in Pre-WW2 Army Truck!! In American (Baseball) parlance, I'm Batting 500. :)

I've seen your website and was thinking of you when I stopped at a Used Car Lot about 10 miles from the Red Fire Truck. Again, I thought it was a Dodge but the Salesman said no it was a 41 Chevy Panel Delivery. Possibly not your thing :wink:
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

FISCH wrote:So the next question is: Where in Idaho, so someone can go restore this diamond in the rough?

Well, er yes, urmm no problem. Just PM me for address to send a US$5.00 cash, tax-deductible, non-refundable contribution to the "Help Make Vista52 Unbelievably Wealthy and Pay for his Gas Fund."

Okay, Okay, I was just joking. The current owner, a Former USMC Sniper, told me that if I put his personal info up on the internet he would hunt me down and kill me and as I've only just bought a 1/2 ton Dodge Pintle Hitch from him and paid for it with a personal Check, I will take a wild guess and say, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for him to find me!!...........

Okay, Okay, I'm still joking. Really, if anyone wants to know, just PM me but it will be on a "need to know" basis. :wink:
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Trying to keep a parts source under wraps from the masses???

My MO in general is I love cars and machinery ~ I look at them as artwork and think of all the effort for design and production. And in the age of vehicles we deal with the 'artistry' of the mill, lathe etc... as a lot of it was hand done.

My other great flaw is history, love it and maybe that is why the 'olive-drab bug' has overcome me and my wallet.

The thought that I own one of these beuties still staggers me a bit, now if I had lots of money to buy the remaining parts and get er running, not much left ~ I figure about $2000 barring unforeseen and time to take off and put back on.
WC-56
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Hi Fisch,

No, I'm just having a little fun :) But having said that, I still don't think it would be very polite to attach someone's phone number and address to this post. Do you?
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Agree on the propiety of posting personal info.

I live to far away, and the wife would have a Bobbit moment. So I have to pass, but I hope someone will recover this beastie and restore it soon.
WC-56
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Fisch,

This truck is so solid that I hope I've given someone food for thought. I think this could be bought. Wouldn't you love to see this back in Olive Drab?
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Maybe someone down California way. Of course with all of the hulks out there I am surprised a dealer doesn't make the journey.
WC-56
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

I am trying to find a buyer for it right as we speak. i am connected to CA fire groups thanks to my dad.
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
11spsc
Private

Post by 11spsc »

This truck is at the latest a 1942 civilian cab and chassis Chevrolet built up as a US Army Engineer CLASS 500 4x2 fire truck. It mounts either a Hale or Waterous 500 gallon per minute output centrififugal pump. The pump was a mid-ship mount (behind the cab and in the truck frame) and driven by either a transmission mounted power take off or a drive line mounted transfer case.

Amy records indicate 1788 of these trucks were built in WW II on Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, International Harvestor and Mack cabs and chassis by many fire truck builders of the day, most of whom no longer are in business.

For more particulars on this truck see my website "World War II Army Engineer Fire Truck Identification" at
http://www.maui.net/~r11/firetruck-id.
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Post by Ken J »

11spsc:

Dig your site!