Need info on VF's

Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Need info on VF's

Post by Ken J »

Hi All:

I'd like to get more info on the VF's related to my VF-402; pictorial and mechanical would be great.

I already have a reprint Dodge Truck Shop Manual, but I'd like to get a military manual if possible; especially I'd like info on the dump body system components and the Gar Wood Winch.

Thanks for any input!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Got a manual and parts list I think, but not for sale

Post by Gordon_M »

I have a manual at home, maybe a parts list too, but not for sale.

I bought both of them from E-Pay, and they weren't super-expensive, so just keep an eye there.

I do remember the manual is VERY basic, almost no information compared with a later WC manual, and I think there was only very basic info about the dump too.

If you need specific info or parts numbers let me know, but don't want to get into copying the whole thing of course
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

Well, thank you Gordon, for the offer to help! I don't need a complete manual copy; I have a decent manual for all the basic stuff, but it doesn't cover winches or dump body equipment (valves, pumps, cylinders, PTOs).

If your manual covers the winch and dump body stuff, I'd be quite happy to send you some cash in return for your time and trouble! And if your manual DOES cover those things, pleaase let me know what the publication details are so I can begin looking for a complete one.

Thanks!!

-Ken J
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Stuff

Post by Gordon_M »

there's really very little in it Ken.

I remember it has something for the transfer case setup, and a few extra pages, but not much

E-Bay is definitely your best bet for a copy, just set up a standing search for DODGE VF or 1940 DODGE and wait for one to crop up.
Gordon, in Scotland

Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

I have an instruction manual for the VF 404 - 407. Not exactly what you are looking for. Did they even make one for the 402? I see you live in California. If you would like it $40 priority shipping included. Im at work and at this moment I will just call it in good shape. Will have to take a better look at it when I get home.

Since Ken is asking I will offer it to him first. If not the next guy who says he will take it. Shipping might be a couple $$ more to NewYork.

Paypal, check , cash or hand cart items.

Craig
Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

Gordon

This is the manual you have right??

VF 404-407

Craig
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

Craig:
I don't have either of the ones you've pictured here; I'm interested in both (if the parts book is also available).

What I have is entitled, "DODGE TRUCK SHOP MANUAL_1940 SERIES"; it's a reprint and appears to be for civilian trucks VC, VD, VF, VG, VH, VK, VL, VM, VKD, VLD.

$40.00 book and shipping is fine by me. Please let me know about the second one, and you may PM me

Thanks!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Right then

Post by Gordon_M »

I have here the exact manual (D-9122 / TM-10-1193) and parts list ( D-9068 ) for a VF 402, but neither for sale.

However the ones pictured above will be identical except for the listing of chassis and USA numbers, so just buy them. A VF-402 is cargo with winch, so if you have a dump bed it has been added. The parts list actually has more info than the manual, which is unbelievably basic.

I also have all three of the VC manuals, including the ultra-rare third series, and a VC parts list for the first series. Details from all are available for anyone that needs them.
Gordon, in Scotland

Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

I wasnt very clear on one posting. I sold the parts manual a couple of years ago when I cleared out my VC stuff. I was just showing to show what it looked like because I came across the photo. I believe Gordon bought it.

I looked at the manual and I will stay with the good shape. All pages are there, spine tape coming loose top and bottom, binding tight, Staining on cover goes through to the inside. Might be making it sound bad, but it is really pretty nice.

Will email you so you can contact me directly.

Im waiting on a call from my Dad right now, so dont go and order a grill from VPW just yet. I need to confirm what grill he has again. I think VPW is sold out anyways.

I really like the VC/VF stuff, but it isnt doing me any good sitting around. I only wish guys with hand cart manuals would cut loose off them. Hint Hint.

Craig
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

Yeah, as I posted elsewhere, I contacted VPW yesterday and they sold all the grilles a while ago. Thanks.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Hi Craig

Post by Gordon_M »

I remember buying stufffrom you Craig, but the Parts List I have is for the first series of VF's, 401, 402, 403, so it wasn't me that bought that one.

I have three trucks here in varying stages of build and rework, and no time to finish any of them. I really have to get one down to a professional to finish off.

1939 TD20 one ton pickup needs plumbed and wired.

1940 VC 3 half ton pickup needs engine and front axle replaced with the correct ones which I have sitting loose.

1940-41 WD21 one ton panel still needs a lot of rework and the rail adapters, will try to do that myself.

I'd love to have the TD20 and the VC 3 finished and usable, but not time at all.
Gordon, in Scotland

Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

Ken
Ive emailed about the VF manual and wasnt sure if you are around or busy. Let me know

I talked to my Dad and he is brining the grill over at Christmas. About a year ago he compared it to a VF/VC grill and said it was the same. It has part of the bottom cutout. Ive never seen pictures so when it gets here Ill let you know what it is. Its either for the VF with the winch or just modified.

Craig
Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

Heres the grill. For sure a VC/VF , just cut up a little.

Craig
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Bootm Rail

Post by Gordon_M »

It has the wrong bottom rail on it, but it looks quite fixable.
Gordon, in Scotland

Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
194? Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Ken J »

THANKS CRAIG

I really appreciate your time on this. Will you pm me
and let me know what your Dad wants for it?

Thanks

-Ken J

P.S.: I'm on my way right now to spend some quality time (and a couple of hundred dollars) with my VF-402 to see if I can get it running for the first time since I bought it. :roll: