HOMELITE APU

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

HOMELITE APU

Post by RANGER »

any WWII Tracked vehicles had Homelite "HRU" Generator installed to keep the batteries charged and radios alive while parked. They were 2 Cycle Air Cooled, and very noisy. They sounded like loud chain saws as they blatted away at 3600 RPM. I have had about a dozen NOS that I have passed on to Tank collectors around the world. The M-4 and M-26 used these. The engine put Homelite on the map as they manufactured over 100,000 of them. They were used as portable generators by the Navy for portable Aldis Lamps, the USAAF used them in multiengined bombers for power, some were set up on a dolley for starting aircraft, and the Army had some as part of a radio kit.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Ranger,

Do you remember the B 29 "Kee Bird" they found in Greenland. They tried to fly it out with new engines, etc. Only problem was they went to fast over rough ground and broke the fuel line to the APU and the "Kee Bird" caught fire and burnt out. Probably a Homelite ?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It could be anything. I saw the footage, I would hate to think the crew was negligent or careless and did not tie down the unit in the tail. Homelite was tempermental and I doubt that what they were using was original as it sat submerged for years and would be gummed up with the mixture of oil and fuel. The originals were in rear of bomb bay in B-29.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

One of these currently for sale in OZ:

Ebay 330185709853

Too expensive for the condition and too far away for me.

Downloadable manual available here:

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/ ... 9_1752.PDF
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is Junk, the the carburetor and fuel filter are missing, and the waterproof Spark Plug Cabel is gone witha mickey mouse substitute. There are signs of force on the starting pulley.Who knows what has been done to the charging unit. Mounts are also missing. About a ten dollar curio. Parts are rare.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Lawrance APU

Post by Forgotten Field »

Charles Lawrance was a powerplant designer who had many credits behind his name before designing the Wright J-1 series which led to the Wright J-5 series and all other Wright engines. He was the first successful designer of an air cooled engine for the USN during WWI. Later, he turned his attention to small, lightweight power plants for starting power on larger aircraft. These were the Auxiliary Power Units of WWII. Thousands were built, but not many survive intact. I have a bunch of the Type 30D, USN type 1A which was built for the Martin PBM Mariner and Boeing PB2B (license produced PBY Catalina) new in the crate. All of them have a suitcase which had a manual and gaskets for rebuilding. The little silver capstan is the starter- there is actually a small Bendix gear that rolls out when you pull the lanyard. They are true aircraft grade as they have two spark plugs per cylinder. They are for sale if you are interested, but are posted here for compliment to Joel's post. Photos below.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I am interested, and want to learn a little more.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

APU's

Post by Forgotten Field »

Joel,
Give me a call at 443-250-9037 between 9AM and 9PM EST. I don't have much more on these, except that they are listed in the Martin PBM-5 Mariner Parts book I have as the APU for that series of airplane.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And I don't have a PBM-5. I did serve with former PBM-5 mechanics, and I worked with Vince Smith P.E., mechanical engineer, who worked on the design of the P5M beaching gear and the bicycle landing gear on the B-26 "Middle River Stump Jumper" at Martin. Will call today or tomorrow.
andy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: HOMELITE APU

Post by andy »

Well Ranger, I learn someting new again. A lot of trucking companies has been putting APU on its truck to save on cost and I thought they(APU) were something new. Now after reading your posting, I see the military had the idea long time ago. Thanks Andy
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: HOMELITE APU

Post by RANGER »

You stick with me and you will be wearing diamonds as big as hoss turds. :wink:

I am planning to go after barrel nuts real soon.