WC 51 Gas Filler Neck

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC 51 Gas Filler Neck

Post by Jim M »

Have the tank now, but am looking for the gas filler neck for it. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction for one?
I live in So Cal area.

Thank you all much!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If it is the one that screws into the tank, it is the same as M-37. They are the same ORD Part# for WWII 3/4 Ton and M-37. M-37 Part No. is CC-1190446 Pipe Filler, lower. WWII SNL calls it Neck, lower. They are the same on both. I have three here as spares for my NOS WC and M-37 Spares, but do not want to sell them. There is a gasket that goes into the tank also. Call Mark at Memphis Equipment in Chambersburg Branch, 717-263-4194. They are open Monday thru Fri 8AM-4PM East Coast Time.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gas neck

Post by Jim M »

Ranger,
Again Thanks for the guidance on this. Looks like you are the local expert on WCs :wink:
Have found from my limited experience with WCs that many of the parts are interchangeable with the M-37. Lucky for us new guys!

Will take your guidance to heart and see what I can find out.
Thanks!!

Jim M

PS
Just curious: are you an old Ranger? The question springs from the name on the list.
I am an old Ranger, graduated on 1970. A winter Ranger.
Thanks again.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

No, but I had fun at Ft Benning in peacetime. Learned how to be a mean PT instructor, among other things. Lot of tough characters passed thru there, General John Norton, Operations Officer for General Gavin was Post Co, General Joseph Stillwell Jr was there getting the 11th Air assault ready to become the 1st Air Cav, etc. stilwell disappeared enroute to Viet Nam a year later.
My Uncle Joe who raised me was part of the Cadre when the 2nd Army Ranger School was formed at Camp Forrest Tennessee. The instructors became students after the first class passed thru. He served with the 28th and 106th Divisions in the Bulge and was captured while on patrol. He never boasted about his experiences, but bits and pieces came out during the "hanger flying"at our business across from the air base. His patrols infiltrated the Siegfried line several weeks before the troops crossed it. Ranger Training at Camp Forrest was interesting, they would follow dry stream beds and the odor of mash cooking at night in order to sneak up to Moonshiners. They Moonshiners were armed and the training was realistic. I have never met a Ranger that bragged. His Camp Forrest Handbook and Diploma will be given back to the Army someday. When I was at Aberdeen in 62 there were 26 flags displayed in front of Post HQ that represented foreign nations that were attending training there. About 25% of those friendly foreign nations are now the enemy. I used to drink soda at the PX Cafeteria with Ibrahim Aldouri who is #5 on the deck of cards. He was a 20 year old Iraqui Officer attending US Army Ordnance Officers Course.
The Army was seeking personnel to be civilian advisors in Viet Nam to help set up Ordnance Maintenance shops. The pay started at $800.00 per month tax free. I had two Vietnamese Sergeants in my class, Hiep and Nam,I doubt they were around after 1975. Col. George Jarret, the renowned Ordnance expert was working at the Ordnance Museum. There was a lot of testing going on. I watched an early M-151 with a 106 Recoiless Rifle nearly flip while making a U turn on pavement at 15 MPH. Life was good in 62. Being at friendly Aberdeen was like a kid in a candy store with all the visible combat vehicles that appeared on the post. The M-60 tank was new, the M-113 and M-114 APC were still experimental. The WWII Ordnance at the Museum were fantastic, V-2 Rocket, V-1 Buzz Bomb, Anzio Annie Cannon(I have a picture of me standing on it), the German Tanks were amazing. there were still steel beams on the roofs of many buildings that formerly mounted 75MM Skysweepers that were being tested in the 50s. My room mate, SP-6 Rudder was a former B-29 Gunner who took part in the first B-29 Mission in June 44, he was decorated by the Chinese for that mission. Sp-6 Rudder was attending a course in Electronic Calibration. The airfield at Aberdeen still had B-17, B-29, and B-25 Aircraft in storage, they would be suspended from towers and AA explosives would be tested on them. The Mess Hall for my Company also fed Post HQ and the WACs. We could join Officers and WACs for chow by asking their permission. General Heinricks, Chief of Ordnance frequently ate at our Mess Hall. Hair Cuts at Post HQ barber shop were $1.00 and only averaged 2 minutes for any style. Boot Blacks got $0.50 to do a spit shine on your boots. I was paid around $85.00 per month and had money left over. I swore off Stingers at the NCO Club after downing too many during happy hour, I had my first and only hang over the next AM, I made it to class though. Instructors were the greatest, and most were WWII types.
Army Trucks are fun when there is no shooting going on.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gas neck

Post by Jim M »

You have had a busy life. Sounds like it would be fun to sit down with you over a few drinks and trade lies!
With a history like yours, you should sit down one day with a tape recorder and do some recording of your life. Would be a grave shame not to have a history like yours on record somewhere.
Again, Thank you for the advice and guidance! It is of great help to me in my project.

Jim M
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It would be fun, no lies to trade here though. I leave tall tales to some retired MV types that claim hundreds of hours in civilian warbirds. I will be posting a pic or two or three in the future of a few interesting details to consider on CCKWs and their associated vehicles. I checked with Memphis, and they do not have the lower filler neck. PM me your address and I will see that one appears on your doorstep.
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Please do I for one would love to see them. You ought to write your memoirs.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Bob:

I suggested that to him a while back, but Nooooooo, he wants to keep em all for hisself. :P :lol: I tried to get my Dad to do that, just tape em, and have someone transcribe. He didn't, and all that is now lost. My fav was of how he got one of his Purple Hearts at Bastonge (he got 3 there, & 2 Bronze Star's). He was crawlin out of a foxhole when all of a sudden he was in great pain. He had been grazed across BOTH butt cheeks. :shock: He said he was dancin all around, yellin & screamin and the only reason he could figure that he wasn't killed then (as he was totally exposed) was that any time someone took a bead on him, they busted out laughing. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

Hi Ugg .Just as well your dad did not roll over ,other wise you might not be here today .The Jerries might have deprived the forum[and the world] of your words of wisdom. Ray
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"

Post by rgus »

Jim contact John Bizel at Midwest military. He has just started parting out 2 or 3 WC 51/52's not sure if any of them are the early small filler necks but he might have one.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

:oops: Thanks Ray.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"

Post by rgus »

Jim;

Here is a link to one on Ebay;
ebay
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Jim, your mention that you had a 1942 WC51. Is it early with the small neck or a later version with the large neck? I have access to several of the large neck ones with the insert. No caps. Located in Coalinga, CA.