1945 Dodge WC-51 Weapons Carrier For Sale - Sold

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

1945 Dodge WC-51 Weapons Carrier For Sale - Sold

Post by Chris Davis »

Unrestored survivor, very complete and solid. Runs great, with excellent oil pressure and no smoke. Shifts through all gears fine, 4x4 works, hand brake holds well, and the hydraulic brake system works. (Actually the front brakes work, the line to the rear was cracked at two points and has been crimped off, although I believe the rear would work fine with that section of line replaced, it is probably best to go through the whole system before putting it back on the road.)

The sheet metal is very straight, with minor rust on a couple of the tool box seams (see additional linked photos) the tool box bottoms are solid and good. Bed wood is original and very solid. While sun faded, it could be sanded and painted for many more years of use. The troop seat backs and brackets are complete and work fine. The tailgate and pioneer tool rack are excellent. It has the blackout light and markers, plus good bumpers and original pintal hitch.

This truck would be an easy restoration... and perhaps one of a kind with the original wood in such good shape.

More photos, history details, and video clips of it running can be found at:
http://www.surplustrucks.com/45WC51/45WC51.htm

Asking $6500

Thanks,

Chris Davis
Centerville, UT
(801) 831 0741
cdavis@surplustrucks.com
Last edited by Chris Davis on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

A great looking old truck. Appears to have an original 12-volt generator but the carbuetor and air cleaner do not appear original. I was really impressed witn the close-up view of the bed as it shows the front right box lid with a handle and the front left box with a finger hole. My son's WC63 was set up in a similar manner.
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

That's a great truck just crying for a restoration. To find a running complete truck in that condition is really rare. I just finished a WC52 that was not nearlly so complete and it cost me around a grand to replace just whattwas missing. I wish this one would have been available a year ago.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Thanks...

Post by Chris Davis »

GTBGUY: You're right about the carb and air cleaner... not original equipment, but they would work fine until a correct set turned up. The bed wood is in really good shape... sun faded, but solid. It even has all the tool box latches. (the one on the battery box has split off, but it's sitting in the box waiting to be re-attached.

rgus: I know what you mean. I just finished a two year restoration effort on my first WC-51 and it still doesn't have all the bits this one does... and to be honest... doesn't run as well! I even debated keeping this one and selling the restored one, but I just wasn't ready to let all the hard work in my current truck go. This one would certainly have been an easier (and less expensive) restoration.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC for sale

Post by Jim M »

This WC is in very good condition, to say the very least! Overall it is better than the one I got for $4000 and felt good about it.
First real look at a late model. Can now really compare it to my early model.
This is heck of a great deal for anyone who wants to get a real Dodge 8) They would have their work cut out for them on this one.
Great find Chris! Maybe it does pay to live in Utah if you want great deals on Mil vehicles :wink:

Will passthis on to several I know who are talking about getting a WC. See what I can do for you to help the cause!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Thanks Jim...

Post by Chris Davis »

If I had not just put all the effort into restoring my first WC51 I'd certainly keep this one. I've seen restored late ones, but they all had the bed box wood rebuilt... never seen an original bed in good shape.

As for finding good trucks in UT... I responded to an local ad for a M101 trailer and found a guy who was moving his jeep collection from large covered storage to smaller covered storage. He was a CJ collector, but had this WC51, a M37, a jeep and the trailer that I ended up making a lot deal on.

I don't think they would have been in such good shape without the 20 years of indoor storage he had given them... UT isn't as dry as a lot of CA and the freeze/thaw cycle is tough on equipment (and humans) too.

I had planned restorations, but last month I found a 1942 British dispatch riders bike that I couldn't live without, so I'm selling off the other trucks.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Chris ..Chris has the rear floor in the wc split or the T@G broken ?It looks like you can see light thru the cracks in the floor .Other than that a great resto for some lucky chap . Ray
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Chris Davis »

Ray Edsall wrote:G,Day Chris ..Chris has the rear floor in the wc split or the T@G broken ?It looks like you can see light thru the cracks in the floor .Other than that a great resto for some lucky chap . Ray
Good eye Ray.

The fuel tank is out, so yes, you can see between the slats, and there are some splits... a long one on the driver's side bench, a short one towards the front of the bed towards the center, and about an inch of wood has split off the battery box cover. I've got this piece, with the latch still atached, and I suspect it would glue back into place. The other splits will probably require the board be replaced.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Chris:

:mrgreen: You've certainly had your share of FINE trucks. :mrgreen: Being the type of guy I am, well, I really don't know how you can part with em all? :shock: :lol: Like when we have a litter of pups, I have a real hard time sendin em off to a new family. If it were up to me, I'd have hunderds of pooches runnin around Uggville. :lol:

Same goes for vehicles I work on. Even though we got the deuce up for sale. it's only a half assed attempt, as I'd really rather like to keep it. :cry:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

I would say the the oak in the bed floor has dried up, shrunk and pulled the joints apart. That would be expected after 60+ years.
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day again Chris .I was not refering to the splits in the wood ,but the gaps in the floor .They seem a little to even .Is there gaps under the steel runners .I thought that the floor was T@G with the gaps under the steel runners ,so that the screws went through into the cross members below .It looks a bit strange seeing the 4 splits in the floor .Ray
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Chris Davis »

Ugg wrote:Hey Chris:

:mrgreen: You've certainly had your share of FINE trucks. :mrgreen: Being the type of guy I am, well, I really don't know how you can part with em all? :shock: :lol: Like when we have a litter of pups, I have a real hard time sendin em off to a new family. If it were up to me, I'd have hunderds of pooches runnin around Uggville. :lol:

Same goes for vehicles I work on. Even though we got the deuce up for sale. it's only a half assed attempt, as I'd really rather like to keep it. :cry:

Later
Thanks Ugg...

I've been fortunate to find some good trucks recently. My problem is I get excited about a truck and see all the restoration potential... make the buy, then before I can get too far into the project something else comes up. That something could be another truck (or motorcycle in this case) or the portion of my oldest daughter's appendextomy that insurance didn't cover! Space constraints also force me to thin the herd... otherwise I would love to have a big warehouse with all my project trucks tucked away waiting for me to do bring them back to like new.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Chris Davis »

Ray Edsall wrote:G,day again Chris .I was not refering to the splits in the wood ,but the gaps in the floor .They seem a little to even .Is there gaps under the steel runners .I thought that the floor was T@G with the gaps under the steel runners ,so that the screws went through into the cross members below .It looks a bit strange seeing the 4 splits in the floor .Ray
I see what you're pointing out now... (and rgus). I was thinking the gaps were just natural expansion/contraction of the wood, but you're right, the T@G shouldn't show any gaps. (I think the space under the bed runners is supposed to allow for that, but this looks like it shrank enough to pull the T&G seams too.) I don't know if it split or just pulled out, but I'll take a closer look tonight if I get a chance.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT