WC-43 in southern California for sale

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

WC-43 in southern California for sale

Post by Ken J »

Hi All:

I know I have been absent for a few years, and for that I must apologize especially to those of you who not only helped me with history and technical details, but those who encouraged me.

With some mixed feelings, I am putting my 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation / Repair truck up for sale.

While everyone in my family is against this (especially my two kids who played in the cab while I restored it), I have a new project for which I need room and some funds. It is a 1967 M151A1 jeep (gasp, gnashing of teeth).

I expect to place the truck on ePay in early February, unless someone makes me a decent offer beforehand. I have $18,000+ in this ground-up, frame-off job, so low-balling me will not get a response.

I have had this truck in several parades, won a few trophies, and it has been in an MVPA Transcontinental Convoy (TMC '09) and to Tower Park near Lodi, California. It has also been in a couple of magazines, notably Power Wagon Advertiser (cover of April 2010).

It runs really nicely, but despite my best efforts, every oil seal leaks at least a little. The drivetrain is also too noisy for me. And to be completely honest, this is not an all-original truck; the cab is civilian, the frame number was ground off and replaced with a California Highway Patrol VIN, the engine does not have a truck serial number, and the telephone body did not come with the cab and frame. Some of the body filler I used has begun to crack and will need to be redone. The headliner has also not been done.

However, the engine has less than 3,000 miles on a complete rebuild with almost everything machined and balanced, with every drivetrain and axle bearing being serviced or replaced. The motor oil has been DELO to take advantage of the higher zinc content. The gas tank has been cleaned and sealed, and the tires, tubes, and flaps are near-new. The wire harness is a new production Vintage Wiring of Maine product.

It has been converted to 12 volts, using a 12 volt generator such as used on radio trucks.

A file of receipts approximately 2 1/2" thick will be included, as well as a work log for approximately 80% of the steps of the restoration.

There will be a K-38 Splicer's Trailer in nice condition available as well (to be offered separately).

Photobucket link:

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/2manyp ... n%20Repair

This is a preliminary Post and details will be made available as asked.

Again, this is not something I'm overjoyed about, but the truck is not useful for family outings and I also enjoy the restoration work at least as much as driving the vehicles (I also have a nice M35A2) so I am looking forward to the next project.

Best Regards and Wishes,

-Ken
yoeri
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: a dodge wc64KD still in restoration status
have an eye on a wc51 for the rest of the family

Re: WC-43 in southern California for sale

Post by yoeri »

sad to hear you are selling her :)

suc6 with the new project
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Re: WC-43 in southern California for sale

Post by Ken J »

Thanks!