WC Carryall windscreen rubber

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
jameshawke
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: WC 1
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

WC Carryall windscreen rubber

Post by jameshawke »

Dear all,
We are nearing completion of a Dodge Carryall, I recently bought an outer windshield rubber from VP and we are having problems inserting the strip into the frame, it would appear that the rubber lips are to short to hook under the lip of the worn windscreen, does any one have any surgestions on how this could fixed in.

Regards James
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WC Carryall windscreen rubber

Post by Richard Starr »

It is a very tight fit, and a very specific profile. What may help is if you go to a bicycle shop and ask for some inner tube fitting fluid, I do not know the official name and am not a cyclist, but it feels slightly oily but evaporates quickly so helps you insert the rubber in the channel. Even so it takes a good half hour or so to do the whole screen - I used an old credit card to squash it in each side.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
Richard Starr

1943 WC54 81672040 DoD 6 Nov '43 Hood No. 731019
jameshawke
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: WC 1
WC53
WC 56
MB Jeep

Post by jameshawke »

Hello Richard,
We can locate the rubber strip into the groove of the windscreen channel, but with the combination of the worn windscreen and the short rubber lip, the weather strip keeps wanting to come out.
Does this inner tube fitting fluid help stick the rubber weatherstrip into place?
Regards
James
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Richard Starr »

I doubt it as it evaporates, leaving nothing behind.

I suspect you are talking about the lower half of the screen, where corrosion has caused the channel to swell, so the rubber does not stay in place? Normally the top half is OK. So you need something that bonds rubber to metal, quite tricky, maybe the odd dab of superglue?
Richard Starr

1943 WC54 81672040 DoD 6 Nov '43 Hood No. 731019
tazou
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: Dodge wc 54

Post by tazou »

Hello;

Silicone sticks aquarium, it exists in black tint there.