CCKW Heater

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Heater

Post by RANGER »

There were only two. The wartime hot water Cab Heater (no defroster) for the Open/Closed Cab, these were issued in the field and not installed on the production line. The military closed cab did not allow room for the defroster ducting that was used on the Civilian Closed Cab. They came with fittings that incorporated them into the hoses that circulated hot water to the battery box warmer and engine heater.
The second was the Post war Stewart Warner 978 fuel burning heater that was supplied fuel from the CCKWs fuel tank. It was equipt tith hoses andsheet metal ducting that cluttered up the cab in order to supply hot air to the cab,and windshield. The heater unit mounted on the left fender and fed heated air through a 4" hole cut thru the drivers side cowl.

The Hot Water heated kits are scarce as hens teeth, and have been for 30 years. Any of the surplus Hot Water Heaters that do show up today, fetch $400.00+ if in NOS condition. I have one installed in my truck, a NOS spare for future trading, plus a NOS CCKW Stewart Warner Gasoline fired heater that was surplused out of Ft Devens in the 60s.

Back in the mid 80s, my friend Mike Sinkovic contacted Stewart Warner for information, they purged their files and gave Mike whatever spares they had as they were obsolete and no longer serviced. Mike has since departed this earth for a better place.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it