CCKW-Those who drove them

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW-Those who drove them

Post by RANGER »

There was a post war term in the US Army-"Lean Mean Fighting Machine".
It about summed up who was meant to drive Army vehicles.
Most GIs under 6' tall and 200# that fall within the ideal height and weight range for a physically fit soldier had no problem. Anyone with excess height or baggage is going to have a tight fit, and may want to find an MV that is more comfortable. The MB/GPW Jeeps are not friendly to long legged (Gen. Mark Clark) or paunchy drivers and Passengers. Same for the CCKW. The Closed Cab is easier to get in and out of, but is snug and unkind to those with a beer belly, the same goes for the Open Cab, although it seems to have a bit more leg room. If you have aches and pains and cannot bend your knees, the Open Cab is not a friendly truck to get in and out of. I am only 5'8" and weigh 188, and just fit behind the CCKW wheel because of my barrel chest.
The original seat cushions of MBs and Open Cab CCKWs are more friendly to those on the lighter side, because they are hard and thin, they bottom out under the weight of most who sit on them, those on the heavy side will notice the thin cushions.
Another trait of the CCKW is the hard rubber steering wheel, the OD finish wears off leaving the black rubber exposed, it is then not friendly to those with sweaty hands or wearing T shirts as it rubs off. The Wood Steering wheel is more driver friendly. One can always spot a large army truck driver that owns a CCKW with a rubber steering wheel by the mark on his shirt.

M-Series vehicles were more driver friendly, the M-38 was probably the tightest fit of the series(M-38A1 was roomy) The M-Series 2 1/2 ton and 5 T0ns of the late 60s created a problem when the shock absorbing seats were introduced, as the seats put the driver closer to the wheel.

Some collectors may not fit into the cab their truck, but should still be able to enjoy their truck from the troop seats.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

I am very leightweight an my WC21 original seats are a pain in the a**, literally...
Also I bounce up and down on uneven terrain, maybe a heavier person won't bounce as much?