CCKW Load control dial

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Load control dial

Post by RANGER »

That round dial found to the left of the instruments on some CCKWs is called the Load Control Dial, it is numbered from one thru four and is used to adjust the severity of brake application on a trailer in accordance with the load on the trailer. Number one is for a light load, number four is for a heavy load.

Betcha didn't know this. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

I knew this.

The Chevy bomb truck is capable of pulling 5 trailers all equiped with electric trailer brakes, brake away connectors, and Brake away batterys.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And that is one good reason for retaining the Hydrovac on the M-6 that some say is not necessary.

Question,
Where were the breakaway batteries located on the M5 trailer?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Seeing that Ranger likes to pick on modified trucks.

Here is one to keep an eye out for.

M6 bomb service trucks didnt have the brake apply leaver mounted on the steering colum. It was mounted under the truck with a linkage from it to the brake rod running from the brake pedal.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I do not pick on modified trucks, but single them out for a reason.
There is not much sense in helping fellow collectors learn about WWII issue CCKWs by giving them misleading information, it would not be fair to someone that is serious about authenticity. It is still possible to achieve an authentic CCKW or Chevrolet 4X4 using original GI issue parts. Is there any other way?

The Steering column mounted controllers are what most are after, as they are not always aware of the original set up. I have sold about a dozen NOS over the past 5 years. I have one crate with the upgrade kits with Backing plate assembleys for the M-7, M-13 and M-5 Trailers. I picked out the Slave cables, Recepticles and brackets out of the last kit. CCKW had the controller at the rear of the chassis.
It will be interesting to hear if anyone claims to have a 100% functional installation and that the brakes on their trailer work as intended.

Many surplus CCKWs back in the 40s-50s had the Steering Column mounted controller, some were Airfield refueling trucks.

I doubt that many will achieve a working brake system.

I still have NOS break away switches stored away.