Perpetual CCKW project

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Perpetual CCKW project

Post by RANGER »

Owning a CCKW is fun, especially when your project gets to the point that it is roadworthy and will return to your motorpool under its own power.
It most likely will be a "work in progress" as long as you own it, and that is where the fun comes in. I still get excited when I find a rare item that I have been missing and have spent years looking for.
There are still two items that I have not found after 23 years, they are the Weatherstrip that goess under the Open Cab outer windshield windshield frame at the top of the dashboard, and the metal mounting plate that goes inside the Gas Can Nozzle Bag to reinforce it where the two bolts attach it to the right side of the dashboard.
If things go as planned, I will be returning my SWB back to a Closed Cab model in the Spring. I have found a nice complete 1574 Closed Cab that is being removed from a recently returned European CCKW. I have been saving closed cab parts for 30 years and have a NOS windshield, doors, seat cushions, wiper motors, floor boards, cab wiring, heater, and many misc, small cab items. I will be converting the 1574 dashboard to a 1608, and have located a complete 1608 dash. Bob Rubino at Mil Spec will recondition the cab for me at his shop, and I will add the wiring and misc bolt on parts and install it as a completed assembly.
My open cab is like new, and close to flawless, it will be stored in my shop for future use or trade.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it