I can't CCKW believe it!!!

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

I can't CCKW believe it!!!

Post by RANGER »

Airborne and Armor is out! :shock:
There is a new fad out amongst CCKW owners, the M-1937 Field Range, they are drooling over 'em. It seems that Kitchen Trucks are now back in style and they all want to be Mess Sergeants now. Don't forget to dress in Cooks Whites. :wink:
I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for the nicest one out there. One would have to have had KP and scraped cooked on Chicken fat and other animal guts with a spatula, GI brush and Steel Wool like so many of us who have endured that necessary BS. Those gasoline fired M-1937s get hot and the nature of their design made for a lot of burned on residue from what was cooked. I don't know what they use now, but the M-1937 served for the better part of 60 years.
They all had a GI Tire Pump as part of the Tool Kit for them as the burner had to be pressurized to ignite. The advent of the 1950s M-Series 6X6 with the Air over hydraulic brakes and the Air Hose Outlet in the cab made the GI Tire Pump obsolete.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In addition to the stoves the Kitchen truck and trailer(Ben Hur) in WWII carried Pots, and Pans, Square Heads, Bakers Sheets, Mess Trays, 5 Gallon GI Gas and Water Cans, Mermite Cans, GI(Garbage)Cans Immersion Heaters (they went in the garbage cans). Several GI Cans with Immersion Heaters were set up to give boiling rinse water for cleaning Mess Gear shaving and bathing (out of your Steel Pot), Boiling Soapy water for washing Mess Gear, etc. The Trucks were usually custom outfitted using Motorpool and Carpenter Shop facilities to make wooden cabinets, drewers and shelves to stow the Mess Equipment on. The Mess Section was issued an M-1937 Officers Mess Gear Set which was in a special Chest containing round metal dishes, cups and saucers with special utencils for the Commissioned Officers to eat from, but they usually ate from their own Mess Gear and Canteen Cups that all dogfaces ate from in the field. There were some officers that had to be pampered though. :roll:
There was also a Lister Bag hung from a nearby tree with fresh drinking water. The Lister Bag was the responsibility of the Medics. It looked like a Duffle Bag with plastic spigots around the bottom.

I almost forgot, the Mess section also carried a Kitchen Tent in the Ben Hur, and if and time allowed, it was set up.
The luxury of being fed at the Kitchen truck did not always happn, as troops were at times in combat, and the chow was prepared back a few miles and hauled as close to the front line as possible.

Field rations and those little packs of GI Toilet Paper(7 sheets to a pack and never enough) were the norm. There were also little packs of 4 Lucky Strike Cigarettes, but you had better not light them up, the enemy would be sure to smell them and kill you for your smokes. :wink:

I can't go any further, it will give me flashbacks!!! :shock:
Where's the nearest Army Recruiter? I want to re-up!!!!!!
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

I dont know what all the fuss is about either...ok, I am guilty to a degree on this topic but, from the time I first gained interest in these truck some 7-8 years ago I have always wanted to restpre one to include field kitchen supplies and set it up with all the sorts a GI field kitchen truck would have had. I am 60 years into this and finding a M1937 oven is real difficult. I have one but it's not in any shape that would pass a mess sgt's inspection...mostly rusted.

One went on Ebay about 2 years ago for $300.. :shock:

Keep them eyes peeled for M1937 ovens and the like.

THE WANT NEVER ENDS :wink:
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

You may want to contact Art Pope thru the MVPA directory. He was one of the first to set up a CCKW as a kitchen truck over 20 years ago.
Mark Cook
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mark Cook »

Hey CCKW353,
Try sportsmans guide for the M37 stove.http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215099
I hope this helps.
I got one a while back and it was in pretty good shape.
Only problem is that the original GI data tags are gone, and replaced with French
Mark
Mark W. Cook
WWII Airborne Demonstration Team
http://www.wwiiadt.org
http://dodgewc55.com/
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

Art Pope? I believe I have seen his article online? I will contact him.

Thanks Mark! your help is appreciated and I will look into these at sportmans guide. :!:
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Guys:

If we're thinking of the same Art Pope, he's no longer with us. He passed a few months ago. :cry:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The one who was on the Board of Directors of MVPA and portrayed General Patton?
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Nope, sorry, wrong Pope. :oops:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Art Popes' kitchen truck was featured in more than one article in AM. I remember him posting that his wife followed the CCKW and reported that it had a waggy wheel on the rear, and Art was wondering how this could happen with a truck had a few hundred miles since Army rebuild. Art gota fast forward to the world of Army truck reality. He does better as General Patton and is a great guy.