CCKW 270 crated for shipment

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW 270 crated for shipment

Post by RANGER »

Taken from the WWII manual for preparing CCKW Crated engines for installation.
"Prior to packing, the engine is completely assembled with all accessories such as, starter, generator, distributor and carburetor. The assembly is thoroughly tested and all necessary operation adjustments are made. The unit is then partially disassembled; removed parts rustproffed, packaged and sealed; basic engine internally and externally rustproffed, and openings sealed with tape. The engine and accessories are packed into a reuseable packing crate."
"Basic engine is packed into a crate, with parts cartons stowed around it. Packing crate is banded and equipped with a removeable cover retained to sides and ends of crate with ten wood screws. Cartons and packages are wrapped with corrosion preventave materials, and are labled and numbered."

The inside of the crate is lined with an asphalt treated barrier paper. There were specific crated engines for the CCKW, AFKW and DUKW. There were kits to convert a long block to the proper oil pan and specific parts for the application intended.

Manny Rogers had a Norwegian Gov't rebuilt 270 mounted on a skid. It was not the same type as used by the GMC factory.
I am working on buying an NOS Crated CCKW engine from an old time dealer.

NOS CCKW 270s were common items from the late 40s thru the early 50s.
One can drool and wait for one to show up but we are 50 years too late. Some European rebuilds, especially by ERGMA were poorly preserved, and not rebuilt using the best parts and technique.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

During WWII and continuing thru the post war years, the CCKW 270 was reconditioned at many of the permanent rebuild facilities. Many have tags from Letterkenny Army Depot, Red River (Arsenal) Army Depot, Mt. Rainier Army Depot, etc.

The Rebuild Plates would indicate the Oversize of the Bore, Undersize of the Main Bearing Journals, and Rod Bearing Journals. Many 270 blocks were resleaved back to Standard Bore, or in the case of one bad cylinder, may just be resleaved at that one location. I have about a half dozen unused crated CCKW Crankshafts that have been reground to .010/.010 and the Part number on the Crate is that of a NOS Crankshaft.I believe the crates ard dated in the 50s.

I try to avoid the crated European surplus engines, as there is a history of unpleasant surprises. Many are put back together with incorrectly installed and worn parts.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

For those of you serious collectors who would like to have your own copy of GM manual YT-4308 ASSEMBLY OPERATIONS GMC Type 270 Engine which illustrates how to prepare the 270 engine from the crate to the truck in 23 illustrated and detailed pages, it is available from Portrayal Press.
I have an original copy in my library.