CCKW 353 H1 Cargo dump

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW 353 H1 Cargo dump

Post by RANGER »

The last batch of 5000 of these Cargo Dumps were built June-July 1945, according to Lloyd White. USA number 4849762 Serial CCKW 353 501351 H1 DOD 6-45 is from that batch. It last served with the National Guard and belongs to WWII MV Expert extraordinaire Lloyd White, good friend of Bryce Sunderlin. Lloyd and Bryce are old hands at WWII CCKW history. This truck and an excellent Multi Part Series on CCKWs have been featured in the MVPA publication "ARMY MOTORS."

This CCKW H1 is featured on the cover of ARMY MOTORS # 103 along with an excellent 8 page illustrated article on the CCKW H1/H2 by Bryce starting on Page 3 of that issue. According to Bryce, there were 48,000 of the dump trucks.
Lloyds Truck reportedly has 7500 miles and is in 100% original condition with the original paint and USA Number which was never removed from the hood. It is featured in color on the cover of Army Motors #103.
Lloyd maintains a database of 2000 CCKW serial numbers.

I am going to go out on a limb and remark that it is the most original CCKW Dump in the hands of a collector anywhere on this planet.

Lloyd and Bryce are very accurate in their research, and are longtime contrubutors to Army Motors. I have had the good fortune of helping Bryce with CCKW odds and ends parts and being rewarded by him comes in spades.
Bryce and Lloyd have been long time contributing staff editors for Army Motors.

All of this great knowledge can be gained by joining the MVPA. The Index for past issues ARMY Motors list all topics printed either by Author or Topic. It pays to belong to MVPA as there is a wealth of information printed in AM and Supply Line.

The past MVPA Directories list MVs with USA# and Serial# when available.
I have them all somewhere on my shelves and everywhere else.

The 1945 CCKW left the factory wearing 2" Registration on the hood.

I hope this sheds some light, as everyone wants to have a story to tell about the trucks they bring home.
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi RANGER:

Are these what they call "Tippers"?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If you are a bloke from the British Isles. I guess the guys that chase kangaroos and crocs use the term also. Bloody fine chaps from those places.
Some "dudes" have sort of picked up on it over here, one can assume they do not have any manuals to go by.
Strictly Army spoken here tho. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In regard to the DOD, one has to remember that hundrteds of Cab and Chassis sat at Gar Wood, Anthony, or Galion awaiting their turn for a Dump Body. They may not have installed them in any special USA number sequence.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

That's what Kevin over at ArmyCars calls em at his site. That's why I was wondering.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Kevin is unique, his trucks were called "Tippers" during their previous assignment. US Army Manuals use "Truck, Dump."
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER:

I never met the man personally, but a lot of the guys in my MV club have and only say good things about him. He seems fair from looking at his site. He knows what he has, but doesn't try and rape folks with his prices.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"