CCKW Wheels are dated

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Wheels are dated

Post by RANGER »

There will be a two digit date stamped on the outer side of the center portion of the rim. It will be within the bolt pattern. 40-45 is the norm.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

I have a couple rings with dates of 4-42 and 5-43
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And they may or may not match the dates on the wheels. Safety is the issue. I have been lucky enough to have found a half dozen NOS lock rings with the CCKW part numbers on them. Many lock rings are borderline after 60+ years of abuse.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

DUKW wheels too

Post by Minnhawk »

My DUKW wheels and rings were all date stamped 3-45 or 4-45. Built in 5-45, perhaps the original wheels -- I guess "just in time" manufacturing was being used during the war, ha! After the sandblast, we flux sprayed them to look for cracks -- all passed with flying colors.
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My guess is that that because the DUKW was not as numerous and that the wheels were more or less specific to the DUKW the chances of matched wheels staying with tha DUKW were greater than the would be on the CCKW. The CCKWs outnumbered the DUKW by approximately 20 or 30 to one.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My guess is that that because the DUKW was not as numerous and that the wheels were more or less specific to the DUKW the chances of matched wheels staying with tha DUKW were greater than the would be on the CCKW. The CCKWs outnumbered the DUKW by approximately 20 or 30 to one.