CCKW Suffixes

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Suffixes

Post by RANGER »

Somewhere I saw an inquiry as to what the suffix "I" ment after the CCKW Chassis number. I do not have my data here but I seem to remember that it is for those CCKWswith the reinforced Chassis used with the Vans and Air Compressors. Has anyone ever noticed how the Chassis for theCCKW Vans and Air Compressor Trucks were beefed up. There is factory installed reinforcing along the bottom of the chassis rails aft of the Cab.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I will clarify my remark, the Van and Air Compressor truck chassis will have the reinforced chassis with the single mark after the serial. They were delivered under contract to the Army as a Cab and Chassis only and stored for a period of time before being sent to the body manufacturer. GM may also have installed some special purpose bodies. The chassis destined for a van for example, had to have a special wiring harness for the Van Body and provision in the fuel lines to provide for a heater on the van body.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it