Not to start a truck fight but.

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Not to start a truck fight but.

Post by Dozerman51 »

While I admire all truck makes produced during WWII, I find the use of exterior mounted hinges on the closed cab Chevy and GMC windshields kind of take away the smooth lines the rest of the cabs exhibit. It appears that the earlier ACKX and ACKWX cabs did not have external but internal Hinges. Studebaker's US6's also had Exterior Hinges. Dodge and International trucks had interior mounted Hinges on their closed cab trucks. Could it be that GM switched to exterior mounted Hinges because of weakness problems in their earlier interior mounted Hinges? Also, seems like the Interior mounted Hinges would be more protected from the outside elements than the exterior mounted ones. Again, I don't want to start a fight here. I'm just saying what I think and wondering why the switch in Hinges. "All" the truck makes helped win WWII and soldiered on many years after. It is a testament to the toughness of the these trucks that that are still around for us to collect, restore, drive and educate the public about their impotant contribution to the winning of WWII. :D
Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Not to start a truck fight but.

Post by Ernie Baals »

hi
The hinges on the Dodges are on the outside
that is where the rear view mirror brackett attached to
Ernie
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Not to start a truck fight but.

Post by RANGER »

The outside hinges are simplicity, stronger, and allow the windshield to really open.wide. They did it for all the dudes that prefer to take photos of their beast with open windshields.

Have you noticed over the years that the gas can with water bucket and open windshield are a must for the first pic. Getting the truck up and running is last on the list.
Would not be surprised if pics of collectors in fatigues with the fly unbuttoned is on the horizon. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it